Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #46
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,536
Share |
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
I looked at more than a dozen houses last week in Milwaukee from 60-100 years old with ice dams.

I don't disagree that the interior heat plays a part but if you can honestly say weather doesn't play a part in it I can't seriously have this conversation.
Oh I'm sure that weather plays a major role. Just for curiosities sake, do you have any feel for how many of those older homes had their attics retrofitted into living space? Changing use has a lot to do with developing problems where none formerly existed. Interesting......

__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michgan
Posts: 175
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Im sure you know how an ice dams form. They form when interior heat is lost into the attic and hits the underside of the roof deck, causing melt water to run down toward the eaves where it hits the cold area above the soffit and freezes. As long as the temperature below the deck is kept at the same temperature throughout you will not get an ice dam
Not a cut & dry true statement. You can have 4 feet of properly installed insulation in your attic and a jet engine providing ventilation and ice dammits can still form.

If the conditions are right, meaning the orientation of your home and solar heat gain from the sun, ice dams can still form no matter how well insulated and ventilated your attic is. If the temperature and sunlight conditions are right, the snow is going to melt, and re-freeze on metal gutters.
rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #48
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, MD, DC
Posts: 6,029
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


+1 rosem637.

This was discussed earlier. Jagans knows this and he was probably referring to what is the responsible cause of 95% of the ice dams in this case. Poor insulation, unchecked air flow from the living space, and inadequate ventilation.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
jagans (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #49
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,536
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by rosem637 View Post
Not a cut & dry true statement. You can have 4 feet of properly installed insulation in your attic and a jet engine providing ventilation and ice dammits can still form.

If the conditions are right, meaning the orientation of your home and solar heat gain from the sun, ice dams can still form no matter how well insulated and ventilated your attic is. If the temperature and sunlight conditions are right, the snow is going to melt, and re-freeze on metal gutters.
Agree, and it does not help when you design a home with four gables running to a central point with no way to get any appreciable convection going. We used to take a piece of paper and crumble it into a tight ball then open it up a bit then say "This is a roof designed by an Architect" We then took a piece of paper, neatly folded it down the middle of the 8.5 dimension, opened it to 45 degrees, and said "This is a roof designed by a roofer" LOLOLOL
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 110
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


My father just put me in contact with a roofer he's known since childhood who said they should have never installed the roof in winter (i'm in NJ where we're having an awful winter).

Reason being is because the air temp isnt high enough for the seal-sealant on the shingles to properly adhere. The only alternative would have been to caulk every row of shingles but that is very expensive.

He suggested I get a roofing consultant to do an inspection of the roof and give me a written report. He also said if the company didnt caulk every row which he doubts since it's so expensive, his personal recommendation would be to redo the entire roof in the spring.

So does this sound right?
marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 191
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Its not too uncommon to shingle in the winter, if its not too dusty where you are the shingles should seal fine come spring. Hand tabbing is recommended(using roof cement, not caulking), but I've never done it and rarely have issues.
The winter install has nothing to do with the issues your having.
PatChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 44
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Yeah, as some have said, the winter doesn't matter. The roofing system will protect the roof if installed properly. Once the spring and summer comes, it will just add that much more protection to the roof when it seals up.

Last edited by TedLeger; 02-24-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: mispelled word
TedLeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #53
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, MD, DC
Posts: 6,029
Default

Brand New Roof Leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus118 View Post
My father just put me in contact with a roofer he's known since childhood who said they should have never installed the roof in winter (i'm in NJ where we're having an awful winter).

Reason being is because the air temp isnt high enough for the seal-sealant on the shingles to properly adhere. The only alternative would have been to caulk every row of shingles but that is very expensive.

He suggested I get a roofing consultant to do an inspection of the roof and give me a written report. He also said if the company didnt caulk every row which he doubts since it's so expensive, his personal recommendation would be to redo the entire roof in the spring.

So does this sound right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
Its not too uncommon to shingle in the winter, if its not too dusty where you are the shingles should seal fine come spring. Hand tabbing is recommended(using roof cement, not caulking), but I've never done it and rarely have issues.
The winter install has nothing to do with the issues your having.
+1

The lack of sealing between the shingles has nothing to do with the ice damming issue. The shingles, once then get some heat in them and if they aren't fouled with dirt between the courses, will seal down fine.

The issue is what has been discussed previously. Gutter routing, lack of ice/water, not removing the siding, and poor flashing.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Leaking Roof under Dormer / hole in OSB!!! MB1 Roofing/Siding 32 12-15-2011 04:20 PM
Putting a new flat roof on a 3600 sf home Jean3 Off Topic 2 04-09-2010 12:35 AM
The moving Ice Dams after using a roof rake ?? Canufixit Roofing/Siding 9 02-05-2009 07:33 PM
New 1yr Townhome with Leaking Roof! sijunk Roofing/Siding 9 08-08-2008 03:50 PM
Supposedly 'new' roof is leaking beejay Roofing/Siding 3 03-06-2007 10:55 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.