Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Brand New Roof Leaking

Just had a brand new roof put on 2 weeks ago - cost me $8,000. Now have some kind of massive leak. Water is coming through the ceiling at a pretty rapid drip. Huge section of drywall on the ceiling will likely need to be replaced. Needless to say I'm a bit pissed off.

I'm calling the roofer first thing tomorrow morning but does a roofing company have insurance to cover these types of damages? I'm not paying for new dry wall. Even if I don't need new drywall it still needs to be primed and painted all over again.

How does something like this typically work in the roofing world?

Thanks

marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Brand New Roof Leaking

In the real world the customer asks for and verifies the roofer has a license and is insured before work begins. Just telling you they do does not count.
Roofing has one of the highest insurance rates so it's not unheard of for low ball, fly by night roofers go without.
Your did not add your location to your profile so we have no idea if there should have been permits and inspections done.
Did the contract state any warranty?
Did it have some simple excuse to not do a proper job stating "replace flashing if needed" instead of replace all flashing and roof jacks?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Brand New Roof Leaking

A legit company will fix the leak and interior damage.

Leaks happen, the true test of a company is in there response to a problem. I would not allow the same crew back unless there was a supervisor onsite to monitor the repair from start to finish. This just happens to fall under my job description, I hate it. Nothing like being the punching bag for crew that F'd up.

Make sure its fixed properly, if they get on the roof with a caulking gun be concerned. I would like to see them take pics and explain it to you...then pics of the fix.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 02-18-2014 at 11:02 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

Brand New Roof Leaking

You should have asked for a current insurance certificate prior to starting.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Brand New Roof Leaking

Thanks all. I would imagine it's a flashing issue. Check out all the ice on the roof thats probably backing up the melting snow and getting in the house via poor flashing.

Am I on the right track here?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Brand New Roof Leaking

Not much help to you now....but any time I have a contractor doing work on my house, my wife and I take lots of pictures....

Funny thing about that....good contractors don't mind one bit...in fact, some are even taking their own pictures. If they object....well...then maybe there is something they don't want you to see. In one case a contractor asked if I would send him copies.

And those pictures come in handy later when you have issues...you can go back and see if something was done wrong.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #7

Brand New Roof Leaking

I would have used Ice and water shield at the bottom of those areas and at least a doubled up layer of 30 lb. felt for the rest of those lookouts.
Sure looks like your having ice dams causing the issues.
Even in my relatively southern area it's code to use Ice and water shield up to the building envelope.
Hard to tell in that picture because of all the ice, but is there a gutter there?
Maybe just the angle of the picture but it looks like the fascia's angled toward the wall.
There's also no kick out at the lower part of the roof to direct the water away from the wall.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=13
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

Brand New Roof Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would have used Ice and water shield at the bottom of those areas and at least a doubled up layer of 30 lb. felt for the rest of those lookouts.
Sure looks like your having ice dams causing the issues.
Even in my relatively southern area it's code to use Ice and water shield up to the building envelope.
Hard to tell in that picture because of all the ice, but is there a gutter there?
Maybe just the angle of the picture but it looks like the fascia's angled toward the wall.
There's also no kick out at the lower part of the roof to direct the water away from the wall.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=13
Yes there are gutters. I don't think its the angle of the photo I'm pretty sure the roof is angled back toward the house which seems crazy.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Brand New Roof Leaking

One other thing I see is icicles running down the siding.
My guess would be that's caused from the ice dam on the roof causing water to get into the soffit area and running down the wall.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Brand New Roof Leaking

Roofer just came and tried explaining to me that there's nothing wrong with the roof. The issue is the ice is backing up water and is going underneath the shingles and into the house. Nothing they can do about it.

Does this sound right? Sounds a bit strange to me.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #11

Brand New Roof Leaking

This is normal?

2 gallons in 12 hours:

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 256

Brand New Roof Leaking

Yes and no. It's not normal for an average or typical winter. Here in NY and NJ we've been getting incredibly copious amounts of snowfalls, one on top of another, so we're seeing lots of ice dams we wouldn't normally see. I wouldn't blame your roofer for following standard practices, when the winter hasn't been following standard practices. Normally, a 16-20" soffit overhang would get a 36" Ice Shield on the roof deck, and that proved to be adequate, for normal winters. This winter's snowfall amounts have been record breaking and lots of people are experiencing exactly what you are.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #13

Brand New Roof Leaking

I've now got about 8 pots on the floor. Floor is soaked, ceiling ruined, walls and moulding wet. Coming in very fast. Water coming in through the light now so I'm sure electrical will be the next problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Brand New Roof Leaking

Well it sounds like your "roffer" is going to stand behind his work. what a surprise!
It may be time to contact your home owners insurance.
They may go after the roofer for the cost of the repairs.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,470

Brand New Roof Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus118 View Post
Roofer just came and tried explaining to me that there's nothing wrong with the roof. The issue is the ice is backing up water and is going underneath the shingles and into the house. Nothing they can do about it.

Does this sound right? Sounds a bit strange to me.
Your roofer is absolutely correct. All the roofers that guarantee a roof job against ice dams and water intrusion are out of business or soon will be.

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
ParagonEx (02-22-2014)