Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

box in eaves or repaint?

Hi guys,

I have just finished putting a new roof on my house and am now deciding what to do with the eaves.
The current owners sprayed a little stucco on them and the paint is chipping really bad. It looks terrible.
I have been looking into soffit material to box them in and have only found materials online, none of the local stores (homedepot,lowes,gnahl lumber) had any.

I have not decided on what to do yet.

My question is

do I need to scrape the paint off and repaint them or can I paint right over it?

thanks john
Attached Thumbnails
box in eaves or repaint?-hpim3151.jpg   box in eaves or repaint?-hpim3152.jpg   box in eaves or repaint?-hpim3153.jpg  

jamminjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

box in eaves or repaint?

Most folks will put up a maintenance free soffit type material.

The local supply houses should have that in a myriad of colors.

That is the route, after opening up the eaves for more intake air, I would take if it were my home.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

box in eaves or repaint?

Do I need to sand down and paint before boxing them in?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

box in eaves or repaint?

You don’t need to sand anything to box it in. You could scrape off some of the loose stuff though.

You’ll need to add some framing in order to box it in. How you would do it would depend on the soffit material you choose to use. You should also sister another 2x6 along the side of those spliced rafters.

Don’t forget venting…How you would vent that would also depend on your choice of soffit material.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

box in eaves or repaint?

Will the eaves continue to get worse (weathered look) if I dont sand/chip the paint away and seal with new paint before boxing in?

I am just worried that I will get them all boxed in and then later the eaves will get worse and maybe mold/mildew.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Mod

box in eaves or repaint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminjohn View Post
Will the eaves continue to get worse (weathered look) if I dont sand/chip the paint away and seal with new paint before boxing in?

I am just worried that I will get them all boxed in and then later the eaves will get worse and maybe mold/mildew.

I already see rot that should have been addressed ďbeforeĒ the new roof was put on so your kind of stuck now unless you want to roof that area again..

Will it get worse? Well, it wonít get any better, itís all about keeping it dry.

You can scrape, prime and paint raw wood if you want but if the wood stays dry and is "properly ventilated" itís not necessary.

Sanding would be overkill and depending on the age of the paint it could contain lead and you defiantly donít want to sand that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 540

box in eaves or repaint?

The rafter tail repairs concern me. I wouldnt want to stand on the edge of the roof where two ( that we can see, maybe more)tails in a row are spliced like that. I think boxing the eves is a great idea, it will look nicer and also gives you the chance to add some support.
AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,018

box in eaves or repaint?

Lowes and Home Depot both stock vented soffit, it's in the same area as the siding.
The coil stock to cover the fascha is only sold in rolls there so you would have to hire a siding company or someone that owns a brake to bend and install it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

box in eaves or repaint?

Or you could use vinyl 1x stock for the fascia
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,018

box in eaves or repaint?

Coil would be a lot less expencive, I love vinyl but there really proud of it when you go to buy it.
It would also not hide the end of the soffit material unless J or F moulding was added.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

box in eaves or repaint?

Use pre-made fascia and metal vented soffits.

Sorry Joe, I just hate fascia's made out of coil. Too flimsy, but yes it does work if you don't have pre-made fascia's available or you want a very specific color. Most companies make the same color fascia's as they do coil though.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Mod

box in eaves or repaint?

Iím seeing Breckenridge with a continuous vinyl vent strip.

I still canít grasp why so many think the world needs to be wrapped in plastic. I guess itís the sign of the times but Iím not on board.

I have no problem with Vinyl (in certain applications) but to suggest (as so many do here) that Vinyl "is the wayĒ and itís the ďbest choiceí is absurd.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #13

box in eaves or repaint?

I bought osb and ripped to size thinking that would be ok to use to box in. I have seen houses in my area that have boxed in eaves and they have stuccoed over and all you can see is the vents. It actually looks pretty good. I am not sure what steps to take to box them in. Can I use the 7x16's osb that I have and just frame boxes with 2x4s and sheet the bottom, cut out for vents, stucco and then install the vents?

Sorry I am new to all of this, just bought the house last year(first time home owner) and and want it to look good as well as be safe.

P.S. The rot look wood is actually not rotted (I hope)but discolored very badly. I pulled all rotten wood,replaced it and then sheeted over it all with 7/16 osb. I did leave the wood that was discolored planning on boxing in or repainting them.

I really do appreciate all of the advice and help
thanks
John
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

box in eaves or repaint?

Can I use the 7x16's osb that I have and just frame boxes with 2x4s and sheet the bottom, cut out for vents, stucco and then install the vents?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

box in eaves or repaint?

you seem pretty set on using OSB, but this stuff (or other stuff like it from your local supplier) is already vented, finished, and would allow all of your eaves to be ventilated and dry. It's no maintenance to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/Rollex-16-Alum...4781909&sr=8-1

With OSB you will have to prime and paint (or stucco), cut vent openings, and install vent screens. Then you have to maintain the finish.

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote