Blown Insulation - Flat Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Blown Insulation - Flat roof

My house has a manserd style roof. The top roof was a traditional flat roof with tar and gravel.

At some point in the past, they built another roof on top of it...might be 3/12 or 4/12 pitch.

Can I put blown insulation on top of the old flat roof to add extra R value to? My concern is in regards to roof ventilation requirements...while this new roof has a ridge vent installed, there are no vent tubes tied into the lower roof sofit.

I found out it was a flat roof when I took the double wall chimney pipe out and saw the old roof.

In the last photo, the flat roof is under the roof my flashlight and tools are sitting on.
Attached Thumbnails
Blown Insulation - Flat roof-img_2534.jpg   Blown Insulation - Flat roof-img_2551.jpg   Blown Insulation - Flat roof-img_2555.jpg   Blown Insulation - Flat roof-img_2557.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Dave The Roofer

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to Dave The Roofer

Blown Insulation - Flat roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
My house has a manserd style roof. The top roof was a traditional flat roof with tar and gravel.

At some point in the past, they built another roof on top of it...might be 3/12 or 4/12 pitch.

Can I put blown insulation on top of the old flat roof to add extra R value to? My concern is in regards to roof ventilation requirements...while this new roof has a ridge vent installed, there are no vent tubes tied into the lower roof sofit.

I found out it was a flat roof when I took the double wall chimney pipe out and saw the old roof.

In the last photo, the flat roof is under the roof my flashlight and tools are sitting on.
Mold has become the four letter work in the roofing business, we as roofers have to take the heat, meaning all of a sudden we are responsible for all mold in mold the house, It's not Right....

Advertisement

Dave The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote