DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blown Insulation - Flat roof

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dave The Roofer 
#1 ·
My house has a manserd style roof. The top roof was a traditional flat roof with tar and gravel.

At some point in the past, they built another roof on top of it...might be 3/12 or 4/12 pitch.

Can I put blown insulation on top of the old flat roof to add extra R value to? My concern is in regards to roof ventilation requirements...while this new roof has a ridge vent installed, there are no vent tubes tied into the lower roof sofit.

I found out it was a flat roof when I took the double wall chimney pipe out and saw the old roof.

In the last photo, the flat roof is under the roof my flashlight and tools are sitting on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mold is the enemy!

My house has a manserd style roof. The top roof was a traditional flat roof with tar and gravel.

At some point in the past, they built another roof on top of it...might be 3/12 or 4/12 pitch.

Can I put blown insulation on top of the old flat roof to add extra R value to? My concern is in regards to roof ventilation requirements...while this new roof has a ridge vent installed, there are no vent tubes tied into the lower roof sofit.

I found out it was a flat roof when I took the double wall chimney pipe out and saw the old roof.

In the last photo, the flat roof is under the roof my flashlight and tools are sitting on.
Mold has become the four letter work in the roofing business, we as roofers have to take the heat, meaning all of a sudden we are responsible for all mold in mold the house, It's not Right....:furious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.