Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Share |

Blocked Soffits

We have a small two storey semi detached home. The previous owner was a little old lady that kept the heat low and rarely ran the shower. Now, my family of 5 is showering, the heat is running a lot more etc...We started to see mold in the front second floor bedrooms where the ceiling and wall met.

I initially thought the insulation had been pulled back and we were getting cold spots, so I was just going to spray the attic with cellulose and get on with my life. When I looked in the attic I noticed the Soffits were blocked, someone stuffed them with insulation. I've had a few ventilation/energy company's aout to take a look. They have all told me that the work needs to be completed from the outside, by removing the soffit, unlocking making sure insulation is tight to wall plate etc...estimates are coming in at about 2400.00(cdn). I don't understand stand why I couldn't just lay in the attic with a long stick, tongs, hockey stick and pull the insulation out. Obviously it would be hot, itch and tough, but am I missing something?
sdritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Bill Kearney

Blocked Soffits

Do not underestimate the ordeal. You do not want to be breathing that stuff. So the respirator mask is going to make it even more of an ordeal. And you'd be unlikely to get the insulation properly positioned all the way out without blocking the air channel. Doing it from the outside really does work better.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Blocked Soffits

The slope of your roof is a very important factor in whether you can do it from the inside. If you stick a roofing nail into your brain it might not be worth it. If you do it from the outside you can take down the soffit and properly clean it. If there is cellulose blown into the soffits you are not going to get it out from inside the attic IMHO. I suppose you could use a serious shop vac to suck it out and keep emptying it, but that would be tedious.

I would check to see if you are venting warm moist air into that attic and arrest it if you are.

I have never in my life heard of a "Little Old Lady" that kept the heat down in the winter. Its usually the other way around, like its so hot you cant breathe.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, insulation, soffit