Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

to block or not block

I have a vaulted roof over my deck. The rafters are 2X10. I have ran baffles between each rafter for air circulation. I ran the baffles into the sofit area to get air. Now I am going to put r-28 insulation and vapor barrier. My question is should i block between the rafters and cut a notch out for the baffleor leave the rafters open where they meet the top plate. my thinking is that air will go up the whole area instead of just up the baffles and condensation will collect on the vapor barrier. but i am not sure. each rafter length is 18 feet and the rafters are on 16" centers. So if someone can tell me if i should block the ends with a notch for the baffle or leave it open i would be grateful

brutherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

to block or not block

Why notch them? Why not just use 2x8 for blocking

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

to block or not block

so you are saying though that you do need to block the ends
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

to block or not block

I put blocking between the rafters
With 2x12 rafters I used leftover scrap to cut to fit under the rafter vents
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

to block or not block

thanks that was the answer i was looking for, i had a few poeople tell me to not block it and i could see how that was right.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

to block or not block

if you do not block the ends, the batts of insulation could migrate into the soffit space
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

to block or not block

Pages 5 and 6, especially if in a seismic zone:
http://www.buildingsmartalliance.org...pter6final.pdf

The blocking prevents rotation of the rafters when under loads, and it stops outside air from wind-washing the insulation, pp. 12: http://www.nybtg.com/downloads/therm..._checklist.pdf

Don’t use cardboard baffles as pictured as they will get wet and mold. If no blocking is required by local Inspector, use foam board baffles to stop wind-washing or purchase these: http://www.adoproducts.com/wind.html to go with these: http://www.adoproducts.com/duro.html

Or for the same cost, just get these instead at HD: http://www.bergerbuildingproducts.co...sAccuvent.html
It’s all-in-one and self-extinguishing in a fire unlike the toxic foam ones.

Leave a 1” gap between baffle ends as per manuf.

Is this an outdoor deck? Heated? Why a vapor barrier? Location?

Gary
Old 09-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #8

to block or not block

thanks for the replies i installed the foam baffles and some of the insulation and blocks on the top plates. I have another question on venting. Since between each rafter is it's own void, each void needs to be vented. so that is a lot of vents. I can drill upwards under the drip edge as I have a metal roof that is baffled so there is an air gap under the drip edge. I would prefer to drill sideways and vent into the sofit. I have a 2X10 rafters so 8.5 inches deep, 16 inch centers, at a length of 16 ft for each void. would a 1.5 hole drilled through the side of each rafter venting into the soffit at each end suffice as adequate venting.