Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

Black mold growing on my clay tile roof

I live in the Philippines, so it's pretty much hot and humid here all year round. And we have really had lots of rain here for the last 6 months.

About 1 year ago, we had a new house built and had a ceramic clay tile roof installed. The tiles were imported from Spain.

After 1 year now, I have noticed alot of a black colored mold on the tiles. By wife's brother and another relative have now been on the roof for 3 full days scrubbing the tiles with tide soap and bleach. It looks like they will need at least another 1 or 2 days of hand scrubbing. This is removing all the black discoloration, but it certainly is labor intensive.

I was just wondering if anyone here has seen a problem like this with a clay tile roof in hot and wet areas in the US such as maybe Florida or the Houston area?

Had I known that these roof tiles are supseptable to black mold formation, I certainly would not have installed them.

Here is a photo of the roof (might be a little hard to see the black discoloration in certain areas) do to the various color shades of each roof tile ... but it's certainly discolored in certain areas.

Thank's,
Ron

Flt_Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Black mold growing on my clay tile roof

It's normal to get mold and moss on clay tiles in damp climates.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote