Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

big six profile roof leaking :(

Hi, my first post here on the forums, so hope its all correct and ok!!!

i have a large outbuilding/shed with grp big six profile roofing on it, the pitch is rubbish!!!! the run from front to back is 7.5 metres, about 25.5ft, but the pitch is only 3 inches in total from front to back!

i had a fair few extra sheets when the roof went on, so the overlaps are about 2 to 3ft, obviously because of having nearly no pitch angle i'm still getting water running up theoverlaps into the building/shed, i cant afford to replace the roof and build a decent angle of pitch first, is there a way of sealing the laps? or do i just need to take the roof up, build a decent run off and reinstall the roof??

my biggest worry with sealing or reinstallling the roof is once i've taken the roof up will the existing fixing holes seal nice again, and do i still need to seal the laps anyway, and what about any holes where the fixing points are in different positions??

i'm having a massive headache with this roof, i want it sealed at the laps and fixing points as well as all round the edges to make it water and rodent-proof!!

i've priced up new roofing sheets alone with no timbers or fixings, sealants and flashings and that alone is 420, so i reallly want to find a way of recycling the existing 4yr old roof

thanks in advance for any help and advice, i'm trying to get different opinions on the matter from as many sources to help me, then i'll do what seems best to be honest!

Mike

myhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

rebuilding the roof to a pitch 4/12 or over would be best, but if you unscrew the overlap and run a bead of silicone along the top of the first ridge might be enough to last for some time.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

which is better-silicone or latex caulk
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #4

Not latex caulk
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

i've tried silicone but it just isnt meaty enough!

i've been looking about, is butyl tape seal any good?
myhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Professtional Remodeler

I would consider this a flat roof. a three in pitch is not enough for this type of roof. One way to fix this would be to install a rubber (modified bit.) roof system. However before you install it, you need to install a product that would give you more pitch. It's called insul-board. This gets installed over the roof deck. They make it in different sizes and on angles.

If you want to keep playing with this roof, try sealing the seams using a product called solar seal. I'm not sure it will work but we use it for skylight installations. When it cures its great. the only down side is that it is very difficult to remove if you need too.

Last edited by valueremodeling; 10-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.
valueremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Rebuilding is best. If you caulk, do it inside the laps, not on the joints. When this type roof is done, 3-4 beads of caulk are run across the panel before the laps are laid in place. None of the beads should show. THe caulk is there to 'break the seal' of overlapping panel and separate them. When in contact with each other, they wick water as if a faucet was turned on.
Sealing the joint will help water back up under there even more.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by valueremodeling View Post
I would consider this a flat roof. a three in pitch is not enough for this type of roof. One way to fix this would be to install a rubber (modified bit.) roof system. However before you install it, you need to install a product that would give you more pitch. It's called insul-board. This gets installed over the roof deck. They make it in different sizes and on angles.

If you want to keep playing with this roof, try sealing the seams using a product called solar seal. I'm not sure it will work but we use it for skylight installations. When it cures its great. the only down side is that it is very difficult to remove if you need too.
you dont do roofing do you

federer is offline   Reply With Quote