Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to flash this?

Hi All,

When doing the roof I forgot to add step flashing under these shingles that meet this brick wall.

Should I just take up the edge of the shingles and add step flashing? I then plan to place a counter flashing over the step flashing and the Smart Vent.

What do you all think?

http://public.fotki.com/rdsandy/matt.../p1040063.html
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #2

Best way to flash this?

The flashings have to be installed in a two step process.

The base of the chimney needs an apron flashing to extend down on the top of the shingles that will cover the Smart Vent and to also go up the face of the brick wall about 6 inches. The corners should be bent to fold around and up the sides of the left and right of the chimney.

The sides need the baby tins, aka as base step flashings installed under each individual shingle and butting up against the side walls of both sides of the chimney. Since you are probably very inexperienced with sheet metal, yuou shoud allow about a 2 inch fold of sheet metal to fold across the intersecting corners of the lower front side of the chimney.

The angled cuts need to be precise so as not to leave any open pin holes at the bottoms of the corners. Surface caulking is only temporary. The main water-proofing caulking should be inserted between the two pieces of sheet metal at the base of the corners prior to wrapping the metal and anchoring it.

The front base flashing and the side base step flashings will then need to be counter-flashed with an additional approximate 6 inch high flashing. This flashing will get anchored directly to the masonry surface. Once agsain, prior to anchoring the counter-flashings, a bead of polyurethane sealant such as Vulkem or Quad or NP-1 should be applied behind the sheet metal so as to get sandwiched in between the sheet metal and the brick surface.

You have to decide if you want to score out the mortar joints and embed the sheet metal into the chimney structure or to install a surface mounted flashing.

After the metal is anchored to the chimney with either Tap-Con masonry anchors or lead/zinc tap-in anchors, you need to apply a surface application of sealant on the top edgwe of the counter-flashings and wet finger trowel them down to a tapered profile to shed water down over the sheet metal.

It is harder to do than it sounds, if you do it right.

I will fetch a link to the NRCA Roofing manual for pictures which show what I described.

http://docserver.nrca.net/rrserver/b...ed0306updtwcvr

See pages 351 through 358. If you click on the Steep Slope Roofing section, you will be brough to that section and then look in the index to find flashings.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 08-16-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #3

Best way to flash this?

Hi Ed,

Actually that is not a chimney, it is another part of the roof.

So i need to know the best way for the counter flashing on the lower wall and upper wall to intersect the step flashing.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Best way to flash this?

take up the shingles at the wall,install 12"Ice&Water shield at wall juncture 1st(approx.8"on roof ,4"up wall)then flash as ED suggested,on the clerestory vent ,you can put starter shingle,a course reg shingle(or two?)w/top turned onto wall,then use flashing like you have in the picture,I feel cutting the reglet(groove)into the brick ,securing w/ lead molys ,then sealing the reglet w/ mortarseal is the way to go,just make sure you wash the cut clean& let it dry before you attempt to seal it!
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #5

Best way to flash this?

Sorry, it looked like a two story chimney to me at first glance.

Did you review the pages from the NRCA manual?

The information is transferable from one type of application to another, but you have to think a little creatively.

Also, so you don't really screw up big time on the sheet metal going around all of the outside and inside corners, try practicing with a piece of cardbpard first pretendingf that it was the piece of sheet metal base angle apron flashing and also then as the counter flashing.

You will have the opportunity to see a somewhat ridgid product and how you would need to bend or fold it to carry on past the corners.

Remember, any trained monkey can nail down shingles. The real talent comes from experience and creativity on how to solve flashing dilemmas.

Would you like a bannana or some tin snips now? The choice is yours.

Don't get offended, I am just kidding.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

Best way to flash this?

Do you think I can hire a roofer to just do the flashing for me?

What do you they they will charge.

Know any ppl in the South Jersey/Philly area?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #7

Best way to flash this?

killian russell ,holencik roofing
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #8

Best way to flash this?

They are way outside of Philly.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #9

Best way to flash this?

killian should be close,I`ll check into it,or maybe if you call them and ask for a referral