DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Best way to find and fix a small leak

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JakAHearts 
#1 ·
Im renovating my upstairs and fixing a leaking roof wasnt in the plans but I guess it is now. :laughing:

Anyway, there is a very small leak that must only leak durning very hard drain as I hadnt noticed it until last evening thunderstorms and it has rained several times before. What is the best way to determine where the water is entering and then, is there a quick/easy fix for small "drip" leaks? I planned on redoing the entire roof in the spring of 2011 so I dont have the money for a complete new roof at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

Shane

#2 ·
Best way would be to be up there during a heavy rain. If you know it leaks, try tracing upwards from where you find water. While there could be a 100 different causes, I would bet it is near a vent or chimney. Some more details on your roof (roofing material, # of layers, age, pitch, chimney?, vents, skylights, etc.) would be helpful.

Add that info and I think the people here could help a lot more. Best to address this now before some major damage is done.

Water is a tricky little SOB, can get into anywhere.

GOod luck.

#4 ·
Well, I didnt need a heavy rain or a moisture meter. It turns out that the flashing where my siding meets the lower roof is completely lifted along the edge that meets the shingles. Is this something I can try to bend back and glue back in place or do I need to remove it, clean under the flashing (there is a TON of dirt and debris under there) and then replace the flashing. All the shingles appear to be in decent shape still though about half a shingle is still hidden under the flashing. So aside from some nails, new flashing and roof glue, is there anything special Id need to buy or know? Thanks a ton guys.

Shane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.