Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Best way to find and fix a small leak

Im renovating my upstairs and fixing a leaking roof wasnt in the plans but I guess it is now.

Anyway, there is a very small leak that must only leak durning very hard drain as I hadnt noticed it until last evening thunderstorms and it has rained several times before. What is the best way to determine where the water is entering and then, is there a quick/easy fix for small "drip" leaks? I planned on redoing the entire roof in the spring of 2011 so I dont have the money for a complete new roof at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

Shane

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Best way would be to be up there during a heavy rain. If you know it leaks, try tracing upwards from where you find water. While there could be a 100 different causes, I would bet it is near a vent or chimney. Some more details on your roof (roofing material, # of layers, age, pitch, chimney?, vents, skylights, etc.) would be helpful.

Add that info and I think the people here could help a lot more. Best to address this now before some major damage is done.

Water is a tricky little SOB, can get into anywhere.

GOod luck.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
JakAHearts (05-24-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

A $30 moisture meter may find the track in the wood that this leak followed, even when it isn't raining.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Knows everything but that

Well, I didnt need a heavy rain or a moisture meter. It turns out that the flashing where my siding meets the lower roof is completely lifted along the edge that meets the shingles. Is this something I can try to bend back and glue back in place or do I need to remove it, clean under the flashing (there is a TON of dirt and debris under there) and then replace the flashing. All the shingles appear to be in decent shape still though about half a shingle is still hidden under the flashing. So aside from some nails, new flashing and roof glue, is there anything special Id need to buy or know? Thanks a ton guys.

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote