Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

The best roof shingles for the weather

I've been reading a lot of the Q&A here and find it very educating. It seems that choosing the right shingles also has to do with the climate we live in. Which shingle would you suggest for So. CA residence? We live in drier part of CA, in summer it reaches 100F, we get rain in the winter time, and snow every 20 years or so Thank you.

Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

The best way to determine the best roofing system for your area is to first find the local contractor you feel you can trust and ask a lot of questions so they can guide you through that process.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

I would recommend visiting a shingle distribution center in your area and ask what are the dominate shingle styles for your area.I would call a contractor when you need a roof. It sounds like your in the exploratory stages of a possible project and it might not be your intentions other than a little self-education.But Sly is right start doing some research on a LOCAL company. The best is always word of mouth,the BBB is also a great place to look as well as angies list.I think its a great idea to start your selection now.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 01-11-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Mr. Slyfox and Roofmaster 417, thank you for posting replies. Actually I am a serious buyer of new roof since ours is now 23 yrs old. Guess what we had 4 estimates so far and everyone says different things. Of course GAF is popular, if you go to Lows they carry OC, another suggested Malarkey and one even said anything we choose.... so I started to investigate a little. I will visit the local roof shingle distributor to get (hopefully)unbiased opinions very soon.

I was exited that you two responded since I've never done this kind of stuff before. But I'm not fooling around about our roof and I'll post the result of my research so other people may benefit from it as well. Thanks again.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Mr. Slyfox and Roofmaster 417, thank you for posting replies. Actually I am a serious buyer of new roof since ours is now 23 yrs old. I will visit the local roof shingle distributor to get (hopefully)unbiased opinions very soon.

I was exited that you two responded since I've never done this kind of stuff before. But I'm not fooling around about our roof and I'll post the result of my research so other people may benefit from it as well. Thanks again.
Sounds great, I wasn't trying to imply anything against Sly's reply about your intentions, for what my opinion is worth he adds valuable info to DIY'rs, I would visit several places since it is they're business to sell the brand they stock.Choose the shingle that best fits your needs other than keeping the elements in place.When choosing your contractor have references from the last 3 projects completed,I provide 10.Do your job as a consumer and follow up on these as well. Have your contractor provide CURRENT Licensing,Workman's Comp, General Liability and preferably a Bond.Have ALL agreements in writing, and have your contractor provide lien waivers from his suppliers and sub contractors if he uses them PRIOR TO FINAL PAYMENT..This will insure you having paid for the material once instead of twice plus liens etc.I hope you have a wonderful roofing experience.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 01-12-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: LLEPS T'NAC I
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

I install GAF, Tamko, Certainteed, Owens Corning, IKO and Atlas.

I started roofing in 1979 "high school years" and stayed in the business, than in 1994 I went self employed.
I can not say which manufacturer is the best because I have had great success and very little failure with all of them.

If they sold Malarkey, BP or others in my area I'm sure I would have them on my list as well because I have heard mostly good about them from roofers who use them in the area's where they are sold.

So what I'm trying to say is choosing the contractor who will install the roof should be your number one concern, proper insurances second and materials third.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote