Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

best ridge vent?

I am going to be re roofing my house in the next month. I have looked a couple of different types of ridge vent and wondering if one is better than the other? The two main ones i saw are the cobra roll ridge vent and the surevent II plastic 4 ft. sections. I would think the roll would look better instead of the plastic? Also the roll comes with 1 3/4" nails you can use in your gun. Any advice on which ridge vent to go with for performance or looks? thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

best ridge vent?

One of the most knowledgable roofers on here swears by Shingle vent 2.I'm sure he will chime in soon on this and give you a detailed comparison.I use a product called Weather Pro,mostly because of availability to me.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

best ridge vent?

I use the Shingle Vent II exclusively, but the Cobra Snow Country is a good knock off of it.

Gun nails on a rolled out mesh-like product may not be set in to the correct depth.

I use 2 1/2" to 3" hand nails for all of my ridge vents and ridge cap shingles and have never had a problem sice I switched fro the roll versions of ridge vent products in 1991.

With both the Cobra Roll Vent and the Benjamin Opydyke Roll vents, we had 2 years consecutively that 2 blowing snows and 2 blowing rains entered the rolled ridge vents creating minor interior leak staining.

If its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time, so I will stick with the Shingle Vent II for the forseeable future.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 07-23-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #4

best ridge vent?

Thanks guys. I think i will barrow your years of experience Ed and use ridge vent II
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

best ridge vent?

I really like Shingle Vent II assuming the roof is actually proper for ridge vent. Not all roofs are proper for ridge vent. There is no one size fits all solution to attic ventilation. Ventilation is a science unique to the architecture of each building. Shingle Vent II will work much much better than any roll product and they cost about the same as cobra roll.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote