Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Mod Bit for Flat Roofs

My husband is trying to get estimates for a 800 square foot flat roof in Maryland. One contractor quoted him $5400 to install a Firestone 1800 "torch" system. Another contractor quoted him $3900 for Certainteed Flintlastic which is glued together. Both will tear up the old roof which is rolled asphalt. Both are guaranteed for 12 years. I told him to go with the cheaper as 12 years is 12 years. He seems to think from his hours of agonized research that Firestone is better and there must be a reason for the higher price. I told him to simply post the question vice read every thread. It's like waiting for him to ask for driving directions. Many thanks. Suz

Last edited by Hockey88; 11-24-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Hockey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Personally I think torch down is easier to mess up, but if I was doing my own house and had to choose I'd use it.

Not knowing these contractors, or your roof details, I'd recommend the Flintlastic. For one thing I can promise your house won't get burnt, which i cannot w/ torch down. We've been using it a lot and while I haven't been called back on any of the installs, and have been happy with the finished product, none are over a few years old yet. Are they proposing nail down base sheet with self adhered cap sheet? There is a midply available that I believe increases warranty but we've never used it.

A non granulated torch down roof will also need to be coated a year or so after it's installed to keep UV rays from prematurely wearing it. And again and again if they don't use the right stuff.

jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey88 View Post
I told him to simply post the question vice read every thread. It's like waiting for him to ask for driving directions. Many thanks. Suz
Tell your husband thank you for searching before posting. Most forums appreciate that
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

That's a fairly high difference in price, why not get another estimate for comparison reasons.
Maybe you'll even get one for a single ply system (EPDM, etc.).
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Really appreciate the responses and all the expert information in the site. Truly great. The house is basically a little 1940 cottage with three flat roof extensions totalling 800 square feet. Nothing complicated at all. I did get a third quote for a Sealatex covering which was $5400. It is warranteed for 10 years at which point a new layer is put down for about a third of the original price. I also had a guy take a look and recommend an Awlplan system which was very expensive. Thanks again for all the responses.... and she is wrong about the directions. I have a map and GPS in the car. Rob
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #6

So why didn't anybody estimate EPDM? Come on. You've got our attention now.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

I have minimal experience with self adhered mod's.
I have heard mostly good things about the system tho from other roofers who have experience.
(I don't think the cost difference between a self adhered & torched down modified is quite as high as the two roofer quotes you posted.)
Find another roofer to quote you the cost of those two systems,
for comparison.

In my area a properly installed system of EPDM or Torched mod will stand up to the weather for 15 too 20 years easily.
They both are frequently sold as 20 year roofing systems.

I can install EPDM at the same cost as Modified and it's a safer installation.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #8

SA is actually $40-50/square more expensive than APP if I'm not mistaken.

Any of them can be as terrible as they are great, so asking a forum which contractor to choose based on roofing materials and price is like choosing a circular saw based on color (not that it doesn't happen ).

One contractor might have more overhead than the other e.g. an insurance policy that covers heat applied roofing and benefits for their employees.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses and feedback. Just to be clear, I'm not asking which contractor to choose, I'm just trying to research the differences between Firestone 180, Certainteed Flintastic, and Awaplan. It's like shopping for a matress. Everyone uses a different brand so it's tough to compare product and price. I would get a quote for a rubber roof but none of the four roofers I have spoken with use them. Perhaps they are not common in Maryland. Sealoflex seem to be the closest thing but it's a paint system vice a membrane from what I can tell and read. Best, Rob

Last edited by Hockey88; 11-27-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

The slope(or lack of)would play a crucial part of my choosing one over the other.IF your roof has the potential for any standing water,I would not recommend either.I would then lean towards a single-ply(or address drainage issues)
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #11

The roof is not too flat, about 2:12, with no standing water issues. The previous owner installed cheap rolled roofing six years ago. It's not leaking yet but it buckling and shrinking. I've been thinking of doing the job myself and am trying to price supplies for 800 square feet with Flintastic which is about 80 bucks a square I think. I'm trying to deterime the complete cost of the membrane, nailbase, and flashing. What do you guys think, about 1500 bucks for supplies?

Last edited by Hockey88; 11-28-2010 at 11:36 AM.