Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

best and easy way to tarp a roof

Our roof is leaking bad the ceiling in the bedroom has come down. How is the best and easy way to tarp it? Roof needs replaced but have gotten several estimates and it will cost 9 to 10,000 to replace . We do not have that kind of money . Is tarping it a good short term solution ?

mafiaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
the Musigician

Tarping is a VERY short term and temporary way to keep things dry while FIXING the roof.
Pictures will help us help you assess the damages and offer solutions.

DM

mafiaboss (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #3

go purchase 1 10square roll of grace roofing underlayment about 130.00$ 1 small box of cap nails about5.00$ apply to roof like felt paper. will last at least 6 months .will out last any tarp and will not blow off in high winds. good luck with your roofing project, WG.CAHILL
wg cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

What is felt? Won't the nails damage the shingles? We have a leak that is between the old part of the house and the addition. Roofers came and said it needs to have a tar sealing wash, but we are cash poor at the moment and can't afford it. Leak has worsened and we need to tarp but can't even afford a roofer to do that (plus the prices are ridiculous). Looking for advice online we get everything from sealing the tarp to the roof, nailing it to the roof, using 2x4 boards to weigh it down, using rope and tennis balls (no bricks, though)... Its nuts. Can anyone provide some plain speaking DIY instructions on putting a tarp on a roof properly, effectively and safely?
LF Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Why were the prices ridiculous?
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

the problem with tarps is air gets under them and then it creates a ton of force that rips them clean off. I don't think a tarp would last on a roof all winter around here no matter what you did to hold it down. Better way would be to use felt (tar paper), Which probably is cheaper by the sqft than a tarp anyway
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
LF Ribeiro (11-04-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #7

Your leak is in tough spot to keep a tarp down. I have done it on my roof for a 6-month time (winter & early spring rains). I used 1 by 2 wood strips about 2 or 3 feet long and nailed them down on top of the tarp at the edges being sure to angle them so as not to trap water from rain. You have to nail down one side first so you can pull the tarp down tight and nail down the other side. As many have said, if it's not tight to the roof, wind will get under there and rip the tarp to shreds. Also be aware that tarps don't last long in sunny climates........the UV rays break down the plastic in short order.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #8

I used fender washers and drywall screws about every 16" along the edge.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
the Musigician

4 years ago, I threw together a 10' X 16' storage shed to keep building materials out of the weather as I finished building this home. For the roof, I used OSB and threw a tarp over it. I wrapped the edges over and staple-gunned it to death underneath the overhang, then added plastic bags of dirt I threw randomly around the roof to help hold it down. The plastic has deteriorated from the dirt bags, but the clumps still hold it down, and it's still bone dry inside. It'll come down in the spring, unless she wants to keep it for storage. It'll get shingled proper if so.

DM
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

How about some pictures of the area that is leaking from the outside?
mjzraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

As its been said tarps have a very short lifespan.

The major contributor of failure of the tarp is the granules from the shingles.

You can fasten a tarp to a shingled roof as tight as you want but I give it 3 weeks before its useless.

Take a corner of a tarp,,grab a shingle and move it back and forth and thats what is happening on your roof.Basically corse sand paper on plastic.

Throw in some rain,uv's or other types of weather including wind,,the tarp begins to break down.Being stretched its doomed.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

For the O.P and the other person asking about tarping,,take some pix of the structure and post them.

Stand far enough away from the structure to capture the roof line.

Take a pic of the front,right,rear and the left.

I can give you a diagram of your roof line and tarp application instruction.

I have put tarps on about 3,500 residential and commercial properties.

Dangermouse,,I see your still referring to your trusty shed.Proud owner you are.haxahaxaha,,,its good D.M,,,

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #13

@Jimmy21:
Quote:
I don't think a tarp would last on a roof all winter around here no matter what you did to hold it down. Better way would be to use felt (tar paper), Which probably is cheaper by the sqft than a tarp anyway
Thanks, this is the most helpful. How is felt applied? How large an area should we cover? The leak is in the seam between the addition and old part of the house. Both sides have a slight pitch but couldn't tell you the degree. Will try for pictures after this current storm (we did get a tarp on there held down with bricks and wood, lets hope it helps). How long does felt last? We hope to get the repair done by late Winter, but even in sunny Southern California it does rain a lot in December and January, so we would want something that could hold up at least 2-3 months. Thanks.
LF Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
RFN-4A-LVN

Ever seen what felt looks like after a couple weeks of exposure to the sun???,,,,add some rain and morning moisture,,,then if your leak is elsewhere now you have all the penetrations from all the fasteners.

Make sure you know 100% where the leak is,,pitch breaks are difficult to dry in.

Nobody at church,work any friends,family can help???,,if you were close to Springfield/Joplin I would help for free.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #15

Since you are planning on total replacement soon anyway I think the best thing to do would be to get a large bucket of that roof asphalt and brush it heavy over the entire area. I have had great luck with this approach. Will keep you dry for at least a year.

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote