Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom exaust / flat root / shingles

Hello,
We live in the northeast in the Washington, DC suburbs. We owned a town house built in 1967. Our house has a flat root. We had all the plywood replaced. The outside is covered with a modified bitumen from certainteed.

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...adhered/308479

We need to vent our bathroom exhaust to the outside. My roof design is a mansard therefore I have access to shingles in all four sides of the townhouse. In the right house of the house we have a power vent installed for exhaust.

We are considering a Lomanco 700 that includes a neoprene damper for optimal exhaust.

http://www.lomanco.com/ProductPAGES/700series.html

How do you consider this solution? What will be the best place to install the exhaust?

Thanks

gmartine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

You shouldn`t use that for the exhaust,this is a proper roof exhaust vent for a bathroom fan with 3-4 " tobe,the trap opens with pressure from the fan,and isn`t open all the time,here`s the link:
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11371

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
You shouldn`t use that for the exhaust,this is a proper roof exhaust vent for a bathroom fan with 3-4 " tobe,the trap opens with pressure from the fan,and isn`t open all the time,here`s the link:
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11371
Hello roofing god,
What is the technical reason not to use that vent? Lomanco says that you can use it. Why do you need the vent open all the time? I would assume that you don't want back draft getting to your bathroom

http://www.lomanco.com/public.lomanc...bo%20Flyer.pdf

Thanks
gmartine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #4

this is the proper vent,it has the flap that closes it when there is no air pressure,why would you want outside air drafts in your bathroom ? IT is also screened against animals---what I showed you is what I use,and I didn`t see the added flange for your vent when I added the 1st link

Last edited by the roofing god; 01-24-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #5

I'm in the same boat...I needed a bathroom vent for a flat roof and bought the Nutone RVK1A. However, the instructions say not to install it on a flat roof.

I didn't see why it wouldn't work, so I went ahead and installed it, but now I have water pooling over the metal flange of the roof vent.

Advice?
pmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

What about something like a furnace vent pipe?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #7

I was gonna tell the original poster to be sure and install it at the mansard area,because it`s meant to be flashed with shingles,for a flat roof,you should probably install a "J" style pipe (upside down J) ,and hook the fan tubing to it

Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
RDG

Hi there, new to the forum. I am in the process of buying a house with a mansard roof and am not very familiar with it. During the home inspection it became aparant that the bath vents were vented to the attic and not outside. My wife takes long showers and I think it would be good for these to be vented outside. Is this Lomanco vent appropriate for the top (very little pitch) section of the roof? There isn't a lot of information that I have been able to find about the correct way to put a both vent in the roof of a mansard style roof and I just don't want to screw it up. Any help is appreciated. Thank you-

Ryan

RDG is offline   Reply With Quote