Batch Codes On GAF - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Thumbs up

Batch Codes On GAF


What do the batch codes look like on the paper wrapped bundles of GAF shingles? I see the numbers A 2044, BA 21 09 and BA 21 10. I just want to make sure all is OK color/batch wise.

I would also like to know if there is a difference in shingle quality from the different plants? I have heard that some places carry inferior shingles in the same brand.

Some say bundles wrapped in plastic are 2nd rate quality. Whats up with that?

Thanks, for all the help you guys have provided me. I really do appreciate it.
As a matter of fact I would like to thank you on behave of everyone that you have taken your time to answer questions and give guidance. You all do a swell job!

Advertisement

Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,384
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Group Hug!!!

Call GAF directly regarding the slight difference in the one set of numbers. They keep us in the dark usually.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
What do the batch codes look like on the paper wrapped bundles of GAF shingles? I see the numbers A 2044, BA 21 09 and BA 21 10. I just want to make sure all is OK color/batch wise.

I would also like to know if there is a difference in shingle quality from the different plants? I have heard that some places carry inferior shingles in the same brand.

Some say bundles wrapped in plastic are 2nd rate quality. Whats up with that?

Thanks, for all the help you guys have provided me. I really do appreciate it.
As a matter of fact I would like to thank you on behave of everyone that you have taken your time to answer questions and give guidance. You all do a swell job!
The 21 09 and 2110 are probably the time stamp. This is how it works with Owens Corning. It is military time. I think plastic wrapped bundles are crap. It will trap water in the bundles. This leads to mildew and deterioration of the shingle if left sitting in water too long. Plastic wrapped bundles are also the first ones to be left outside by the supply house as well. They can't leave paper wrapped bundles. I saw some timberline 40's wrapped in plastic sitting outside and bradco. All the 30 year timberlines I have scene have been wrapped in paper. Go to a supply house and you will see owens corning and tamko sitting in the sun. I will never buy owens corning again.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


I notice on the TOP SIDE part of the GAF 30 year shingle the main 1 1/8" glue strip is positioned all the way up near the edge of the shingle . There is no glue strip along the nail line. There is a dotted glue strip pattern on the underside at the lower part of the exposure area part of the shingle. I presume this will glue the shingle down so wind won't lift it.

The GAF 50 year ULTRA shingle is quite different. The main 1 1/8" glue strip is located on the underside of the shingle right along the nail line. The dotted glue strip is located topside just above the nail line.

I know this is a kinda who cares question, but inquiring minds want to know.
Anyone know why they do this?
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Malcolm, Funny you should say that. I very recently saw a ad for Owens Corning at Lowes on all 30 year or better shingles 25% off. By the way not all timberline 30 year are wrapped in paper. I have a couple of bundles left from my shed and they are in plastic. The 50 year ones I got today are in paper.

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-20-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
Malcolm, Funny you should say that. I very recently saw a ad for Owens Corning at Lowes on all 30 year or better shingles 25% off. By the way not all timberline 30 year are wrapped in paper. I have a couple of bundles left from my shed and they are in plastic. The 50 year ones I got today are in paper.
I think plastic is an inferior way to wrap shingles. I think paper protects the shingles more from damage as well. I'm not sure the reasoning behind why companies wrap in paper or plastic.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
I notice on the TOP SIDE part of the GAF 30 year shingle the main 1 1/8" glue strip is positioned all the way up near the edge of the shingle . There is no glue strip along the nail line. There is a dotted glue strip pattern on the underside at the lower part of the exposure area part of the shingle. I presume this will glue the shingle down so wind won't lift it.

The GAF 50 year ULTRA shingle is quite different. The main 1 1/8" glue strip is located on the underside of the shingle right along the nail line. The dotted glue strip is located topside just above the nail line.

I know this is a kinda who cares question, but inquiring minds want to know.
Anyone know why they do this?

I'm kind of confused by your description. There should only be one glue line. GAF uses a spotted glue strip. The 1 1/8" strip you must be referring to is the plastic that keeps the shingles from sticking together in the bundle. It should line up with the adhesive strip on the shingle when the package the bundle.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


I think I understand. The 1 1/8" wide strip, the one you could actually peal the thin plastic cellophane of off if you wanted too... Is actually not a glue strip at all. Is that right?

Years ago, as I remember, when I put on my current roof the 1 1/8" strip was the glue line. As the roof heated up the glue would melt thus sealing the shingles to each other. Of course, I may not remember that correctly..
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
I think I understand. The 1 1/8" wide strip, the one you could actually peal the thin plastic cellophane of off if you wanted too... Is actually not a glue strip at all. Is that right?

Years ago, as I remember, when I put on my current roof the 1 1/8" strip was the glue line. As the roof heated up the glue would melt thus sealing the shingles to each other. Of course, I may not remember that correctly..
Yeah, that strip is just to keep the glue from sticking in the bundle. By the way, how much were you able to get the GAF 50 year shingles for and where did you get them. I went with a 40 year shingle, but I never inquired about a 50 year shingle. I was just curious on what the mark up was. Bradco was selling the 40 year OC for $66.50 a square. I thought that was a good price.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


GAF ULTRA 50 yr $19.13 per bundle or if you prefer $76.52 per sq. Slightly less than what Home Depot sells it for in this area. I could have got it at Bradco for 73.55 a sq. but I would have had to circumvent the guy thats doing the job. I spent a little more by letting him get the materials but he is saving big time on the labor for the ripoff. Also he will replace as a courtesy under layment as needed which I will supply up to 3 sheets. Should only need one. More than that and we will need to work something out.

When did you buy your Owens Corning?

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-20-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
GAF ULTRA 50 yr $19.13 per bundle or if you prefer $76.52 per sq. Slightly less than what Home Depot sells it for in this area. I could have got it at Bradco for 73.55 a sq. but I would have had to circumvent the guy thats doing the job. I spent a little more by letting him get the materials but he is saving big time on the labor for the ripoff. Also he will replace under layment as needed which I will supply as a courtesy up to 3 sheets. Should only need o

Where did you buy your Owens Corning?
I went with Lowes first. They sent me a horrible batch. There were a lot of shingles that were damaged. It also took 2 weeks to come in. I ended up sending them back and getting them at bradco. They turned out to be about $8 cheaper. I didn't know Ultra's were that cheap. Now, I wish I would have done a lot more price shopping.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Bradco was the least expensive of any shingle I priced, including Elk, Certainteed, and Tamko. I don't know if the sale on Owens Corning is still on at lowes or not. I think it is though.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
Bradco was the least expensive of any shingle I priced, including Elk, Certainteed, and Tamko. I don't know if the sale on Owens Corning is still on at lowes or not. I think it is though.
I know their shingles are by far cheaper than everyone else's prices in my area, but their other roofing supplies seam extremely high. I bought my rolled ridge vent for $41 a roll at ABC Supply and Bradco wanted $68 a roll. I was able to pick up starter rolls for only $9.99 at ABC as well.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newtown, Ct
Posts: 425
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Same size roll?
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 166
Default

Batch Codes On GAF


Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
Same size roll?

They are the exact same. I actually needed one more delivered with my shingles. I had to show the guy at bradco my receipt to do a price match. He couldn't believe they were selling them that low. Bradco's ice and water was higher than abc supplies as well.

Advertisement

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Builiding codes DIY4EVER Building & Construction 3 04-16-2007 05:08 PM
Second story 3DPiper Building & Construction 3 03-28-2007 10:33 AM
Electrical Permits, Codes and Inspections? realeyz Electrical 1 12-28-2005 09:32 AM
GFI codes Jesso Electrical 1 10-20-2005 04:23 PM
Miller furnace led codes? dmiller33 HVAC 1 10-05-2005 12:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts