Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

basic roof leak help

Hi,

This is probably a very basic solution. I've got roof leak, and its in a space of wide open shingles. I.e., not a valley, flashing, or window issue - where most problems occur (and about which most posts ask).

The leak is minor, showing itself in the attic as a spot of moist roof sheathing. No drip to attic floor yet.

What's my fix for this? Do I have to remove shingles, or can I spread some tar up there? Roof is traditional asphalt shingles.

thanks!

atlzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

basic roof leak help

you need to have someone go up there and look for a cracked shingle or a nail that may have worked thru the shingle

usually damaged shingles are best replaced but you could do a temporary repair with roof cement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

basic roof leak help

As Tom said, you need to make sure of where the leak is coming in from. What you are seeing in the attic could very well be a few feet away from where the water is actually entering.

The most permanent and best fix is to replace the shingle. Not very hard to do. If you don't have extra shingles laying around and would rather cement it, you could do that to but it is not as permanent of a fix.

Good Luck.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote