Bad Roof Patch - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Bad Roof Patch

I paid a guy to replace a rotten rafter over my back deck. It had rotted due to gutters not being cleaned, so the gutter pulled away from the house. He was supposed to take 3 roofs off, and put 3 roofs back on. I don't think he did that, because the shingles still look bowed where the bad rafter was. Then when it rained Tuesday, my kitchen ceiling underneath the rafter has a little water damage. He's coming over tomorrow to put bull and more shingles. Tonight, I get home from a Thanksgiving lunch, and I immediately smell mold when I walk in the door. To tell you the truth, I don't know if I can trust him to have replaced all the rotten wood, because it has only been a week since he did the work, and there is mold already. I am unemployed, and I do not have very much money to work with. He should have done what he said he would, but when I called him, and he came over to inspect it, he said it was just a "patch job." My thing is, even though it is a patch job, if the patch job is done right in the first place, should it be leaking? I could pay someone to go up there with him to inspect, but the shingles are already on the house, and I doubt seriously that he will consent to redoing the whole patch job. What are your thoughts? Did I get taken, and do I have any recourse?

Advertisement

nolimitsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,054

Bad Roof Patch

Hi! "nolimitsgo"!

It might help to post some pictures, if possible.

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 83

Bad Roof Patch

It doesn't matter if it's a repair "patch job" or a full tear off and re-shingle. If it leaks, it wasn't done properly. And if you paid him to make it right, and he made it wrong, then you got rooked.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking , mold , patch , roof , trust