Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

This is bad, right? (pics inside)

I had this roof installed four months ago, the beginning of October.

Take a look at these pictures. There are bulges, shingles coming up, in several places. This is the North side of the house.

The question is, how bad? How will the contractor fix this? And he should fix, shouldn't he? I did get a warranty on the materials and workmanship.

dalesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #2

I'm hesitant to say it is bad workmanship. It does look like excessive lift in the one spot, but on the other hand it was put on in October. Depending on where you live, it could be that it just hasn't had enough heat to lay down properly yet.

Unless it's leaking or unless it sees alot of wind and is in danger of being blown off, I would probably just keep an eye on it until summer and see if it lays down. Chances are, it will. If not, then by all means call the contractor and have him fix it.

On yet another hand...lol, you may burn up your warranty period by waiting until summer. If this is the case, have the contractor look at it and tell him you're willing to wait it out (if you, in fact, ARE willing), but on the condition that he extend the warranty well beyond next summer. If you both agree on this, get it in writing.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer
I'm hesitant to say it is bad workmanship. It does look like excessive lift in the one spot
Just a guess but I am thinking that the bundles of shingles were layed over the peak of the roof getting deformed before installation. You have to lay those shingles flat before nailing them in. Over you already have great advice Dale, give them a chance to lay down and seal...

Bob
bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

I agree with these guys. Where are you located? What grade of shingle is this?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #5

This is in Massachusetts. This side of the roof doesn't get much direct sun, so I agree (and had suspected) that they just didn't heat-activate before a few winter storms hit. Everything looked fine when they finshed.

The shingle is a 30-year arch.

Last edited by dalesd; 01-19-2006 at 07:24 PM.
dalesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

I think keep an eye on the very last one. If that doesnt look right in the spring, take another pic...say in May.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Contractor

I'm in the south and not a roofer but that looks very wrong. I would be concerned too if it were my roof.

The pros say to wait and I'd follow their advice.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
MJW

I would say it is condensation building up. There is a knee wall there and it will need venting. The roof itself used to be the venting, but now the iceshield sealed that all up. Had one just like that a few years ago.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to spacedout

If it dont leak I would say let it sit untill you get a couple hot days and if they still dont lay down then call the contractor.

spacedout is offline   Reply With Quote