Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #1

Share |

Bad job replacing chimney flashing?

We had a pretty bad roof leak around our chimney. The roof decking was starting to rot in one spot. Got several estimates to replace the chimney flashing and the damaged boards. I went with the cheapest quote (first mistake), although 2 other contractors quoted the same price. When they did the initial repair, they didn't replace the boards. They came back and replaced the boards, but it looks pretty crappy to me. There is tar paper or weather guard sticking down between the chimney and new decking. It wasn't there after the initial repair (flashing replacement). I'm concerned that they didn't put the weather-guard on top of the new decking.

Another concern. The flashing has two overlapping layers on the same side. I thought flashing is typically one piece of metal.

My wife also found a small spot where you can see light shining through a corner of the flashing.

Funny thing is, it's been almost two weeks, and they haven't asked for payment. I would like to know if this is a reasonable repair, or should I get someone else out to redo the job? I guess after the next rainfall, I'll know for sure!

Don't know what the back of the chimney looks like since I don't have an extension ladder. Might have a follow-up post depending on what I find.

Thanks in advance!

TNVolFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

very resonable if they dont want money for it otherwise not so good. I'm not a roofer by trade but i have done better then that. Two layers of metal is ok as long as the first is correct which yours appears not to be, the second is a counter flashing to cover the top of the first as a protective shield. Again that one not so hot, would find second, third ,fourth roofer. daylight inside you dont need to wait for rain you need a bucket. hopefuly some of the good roofing people on this site can help

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

If you can see day light through a hole in the flashing you can be assured your going to have a leak.
(It is possible they laid the new portion of sub flashing "the underneath/first piece" over top of the old sub flashing and the hole you see from inside is not the new and the light your seeing is reflective coming though/between the two pieces.)

With out a hole in the flashing I would rate that job a 4.
With a hole -0-.

Shoot some water up on the roof using a water hose while your wife is in the attic looking for the leak.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
MJW

If they haven't asked for payment yet, they are probably waiting for the same thing you are.........to see if it leaks when it rains.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
old timer

Complete garbage that should be torn out and replaced.

No shingle step flashing, face nailed, no extension past corners, open hole in the corner.

You can find some examples of how the chimney flashing should look here.
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

I don't see any sign of the rear pan. It should be coming out and very visible at the rear of the chimney. Here's another link.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Chimney%20Repair.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

I'd have put a cricket at the head on such a low slope below the higher roof.

The framing (hopefully existing) should have a 2" air space to brick, blocking between rafters for structural stability, real plywood --- not OSB, like the rest of the roof. The rafters have soaked up some leakage, another reason they shouldn't touch the brick.....Need some rafter ties to the single top plate also.

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-23-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #8

It definitely aint prettySad to say it doesn't look very effective either.Daylight=leak!!!Don't pay them,spend the money and get it done right,even if you have to spend way more.This is an area of the roof that should be addressed by a qualified roofer.My 5 yr old son even commented on the shoddy workmanship Good luck and let us know how it turns out.Take care
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #9

being pretty generous with the 4 Sly
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Commercial Roofing

I agree that this is a shyte job, but I dont run my corners past the corner of the chimney either, and mine are tight!
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
being pretty generous with the 4 Sly
I know, should have been lower , but I'm always looking at the glass half full so being they did start at the front "low point" and work up and did caulk the tops I gave them a little to high of a score.

I wish I could say that's the worse flashing job I have ever seen but I have been called out to jobs to find much worse.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #12

yea i seem to remember seeing that ''crickesaddle''before
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #13

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you that replied. I don't feel good about the repair job, but I do feel better getting your feedback.

The roofer sent the bill and I finally got a hold of the neighbor's ladder to get a closer look at the damage. If you're interested in reading the results and seeing the pics, I'm putting them in a new thread.

Thanks again.

TNVolFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TNVolFamily For This Useful Post:
joeandann (03-07-2010)