Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad Install

I had a new shingled roof installed, and they did not layout the shingles correctly. They installed the 3-tab shingle, and when they got to the rake drip edge, they only had about a half-inch of shingle past the tab. I thought that the proper install is to have an even amount of shingle at each end of the roof. It looks like they just started with a full shingle on one end and when they got to the other end they ended up with about a half inch of shingle past the tab. A couple of the half-inch pieces of shingle have already come off. I am concerned that rain will back under the drip edge and rot the wood. What can be done to correct this problem? Would removing the last shingle and drip edge, then installing ice shield, and re-installing the drip edge and the shingles solve this problem?

I hope this makes sense.

R.C.Palmer

R.C.Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bad Install

There is a cure for this, although it will buffer up the short side edge.

It is called "Dutch-Lapping" the shingles. Basically, when this is needed, a half tab is inserted under the last portion of the shingle that would wind up with a very small piece for the overhang.

Although it will definitely be noticeable, this will prevent moisure from entering under the missing and future potential missing small tab pieces.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #3

Bad Install

Dutch lapping of the shingle is also the old fasioned method of achieving an architectural style look to the entire shingled surface, prior to the introduction af laminated architectural designer styles of shingles.

Here is a definition from the Owens Corning Glossary of roofing terms:

Dutch lap method: Application of giant individual shingles with the long dimension parallel to the eaves. Shingles are applied to overlap adjacent shingles in each course as well as the course below.

Ed
Old 10-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Bad Install

We almost never install three tabs anymore, but when we did dutch laps were kinda taboo, you should measure the roof and and adjust you vertical chaulk lines to avoid any tab 3" or under. That said on some jobs with a lot of skylights,dormers,etc. it is imposible to avoid. Use Timberlines for God sake.
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #5

Bad Install

Jim,

I would have told him the same thing, except this is for a situation that is already done.

I only do about 5 % of our work with 3-tab shingles. I always try to steer the Home Owners decision to use the better quality products, but sometimes, some people are more comfortable with a flat and familiar style of shingle.

I can't even remember the last time that we had to Dutch Lap a gable edge due to being off with the starting measurement.

Ed
Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Bad Install

[HI Ed and Jim:
My roof was installed by one of the large Home Impovement Centers in my area. They asked me, "what can we do to correct the problem". That did not make me feel very comfortable about their skills as roofers. Do you feel the Dutch Lap is the best fix, or is there something else they could do to make a better job? The reason I ask, is that another contractor in my area mentioned the Ice Guard strip under the shingles at the edge of the roof. Have you ever heard of this?

I appreciate all of your expertise.

Bob]Jim,

I would have told him the same thing, except this is for a situation that is already done.

I only do about 5 % of our work with 3-tab shingles. I always try to steer the Home Owners decision to use the better quality products, but sometimes, some people are more comfortable with a flat and familiar style of shingle.

I can't even remember the last time that we had to Dutch Lap a gable edge due to being off with the starting measurement.

Ed[/quote]
R.C.Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #7

Cool

Bad Install

Without having to tear off the entire roof and starting from scratch, the Dutch Lap method fore the ending gable edge would be the acceptable repair.

That final result will look twice as thich as the rest of the roof, but if you have not paid the store for having their subcontracted hacks to install the job, you can require them to do their job correctly.

Whoever has the money controls the outcome, because from most stories I have read, the installers from a place like a Home Depot or other smilar big box stores do not worry about quality or ethics, just higher priced high pressure first time sales closings.

Ed
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Bad Install

have them remove the edge shingles,recut new ones and reinstall,it seems that the guys are not holding the top of the shingle being cut as they cut it to prevent it from ripping,plenty of roofs have the 1/2" piece at the edge w/out a problem as long as it`s cut properly-it`s pretty much standard to start w/full shingles adjusted for your overhang leave on one side and work to the other and cut it in--if they`re only installing a 1/2"piece at the rake(end)then they need to cut back a full tab on those courses and install pieces that are 12 1/2" long(1 tab +1/2")

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote