Attic Vents/Air Flow Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Vents/Air Flow Questions

Guys,

The roofer/attic guy who came to look at my leaking skylight also noticed that my soffit vents were not getting enough air into the attic. He recommended some turbine vents to increase air flow and such. Right now, all I have is ridge vents. My roof is called a "hip roof". My second floor is hot during the summer and freezing during the winter, especially in one particular room which he said didn't have any flow above it in the attic. I'm getting conflicting info online that I should be getting more soffitt or turbine is useless without wind, etc. Would turbine make a difference?

Advertisement

need2speed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 27

Do you have a continuous ridge vent or individual vents near the ridge? A hip roof normally doesn't have much of a ridge, and you have to use turbines or similar vents.

I do know the importance of adequate soffit venting as I added 40% more soffit louvers, and really noticed the difference in the attic.

However, I dont understand how inadequate attic ventilation would make an upstairs room cold in the winter. That is a different issue altogether.

Al

Advertisement

AlleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

They are individual ridge vents. The guy is saying that since not enough air is coming in through the soffit, therefore, creating a vaccum and thus not enough air is leaving (I'm going to have to brush up on physics)?? This causes not enough airflow which heats/cools the attic effecting the rooms right beneath it?? The turbine vents helps circulate the air more, providng relief. I'm just trying confirm his explaination... Anyone?
need2speed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

Venting should always be balanced and error on the side of supply.

A 60/40 split is preferable on the intake.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,662

A gambling person would be betting your hip roof attic has an insulation problem rather than a venting problem.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

the article from airvent explains the concept very well in detail (http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literature/PAVbooklet.pdf).

as fariview stated, primary cause for that extreme hot/cold for your second floor may be due to incorrect installation or not enough insulation in your attic.

just so that we are on the same page, a ridge vent is at the very peak of your roof. a soffit vent is at the bottom ("eve").

you can calculate the required number of soffit vents here (http://www.todayshomeowner.com/adding-soffit-vents/)

good luck

Advertisement

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote