Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attic venting

Ok, I'm sure someone will want to give me grief about putting this here, but I saw several threads about soffit venting, etc.

1950-esque vintage house w/ no eaves and no soffits, like this:

The roof has a ridge vent and louvered gable vents in two locations, one w/ a fan.

Now, it seems to me that the attic isn't going to expel hot air well in summertime because there isn't much in the way of venting for the air to draw through, and any air sealing I do will only exacerbate the problem. Having a gable vent fan running would just pull it in from the peak wouldn't it? At least it would interfere with any convection flow up-n-out the peak.

So, just commonsense (what little I might have) would suggest that the entire arrangement would benefit from additional air vented in lower to feed the existing ridge vent/fan. Am I correct in this? And what might be the most effective way to do that? Note I didn't say easiest, I am willing to consider more work or outside the box suggestions that would yield better results. I have been mulling over the thought of drawing air up from the crawlspace to feed cooler air to the attic, how loopy is that idea?

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Attic venting

Mid Roof Vents.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Attic venting

Thanks Sly, that's an interesting option I have never seen before. Looks like it would involve a considerable amount of work tearing and replacing the lower roof though.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Attic venting

It is a lot of work.

You can determine rather or not it's feasible to do now or later by inspecting your current/existing roof and determining it's remaining expected life span.

If it's a newer roof that you expect to be intact for many years to come than installing the lower roof intake ventilation is a good investment.

If it's an older roof that will need replaced in the near future then it would be more feasible to wait and have it installed at the time of the re-roof.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

Attic venting

This [cobra -r- fascia flow -tm-] is a fairly new product, whose design I think makes more sense than the vents slotted into the decking 3+ feet from the eave.

jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #6

Attic venting

Sweet, I knew people here would come up with answers. That might work better for my purposes since I plan on replacing sheathing and siding.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Question

Attic venting

great timing I was just about to post a very simular question... mine is a 1 1/2 story 1940 bungalow and my roof ends with a flat board just like that. I haven't got to dig into the upstair crawl spaces to see what is there for sure yet but does any one have an idea what kind of vent system they might have been going for? Is air suppost to seep in where ever it can? As far as I can see there are 3 gable vents and thats it as far as roof venting. As you can guess the upstairs get really hot in the summer. When I re-shingle I plan on fixing the roof venting but I'm planning on doing some major insulating soon so how far out can I insulate? Typically your told to insulate all the way to the outside wall and not to block the soffit but since I don't have them where do I stop? Oh ya I currently get ice dams he really surprised my gutters haven't come down...

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-01-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: keep our "G' rating
MyEvilBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #8

Attic venting

I just think that none of this was ever an issue back in the good ole days of house construction. Nothing was ever airtight enough, people had no AC and spent the summers outside in the shade and heat cost pennies. Now that we need to pinch those pennies it changes the whole equation.

I like the look of the Cobra FasciaFlow but then you have to attach the gutters to it, kinda wondering how that'll work out.

Read around the board Banana, there are several threads on related topics and some outstanding advice and suggestions here.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #9

Attic venting

I like the look of the Cobra FasciaFlow but then you have to attach the gutters to it, kinda wondering how that'll work out.

You could use the hidden screw-in type of gutter hangers to augment the ferrules.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6

Attic venting

or you could go with a compact roof and no venting
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #11

Attic venting

I have a hip roof. What's the best ridge vent out there?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote