Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #1

Share |

Attic Venting

I am going to have a new roof installed. I currently have a ridge vent and a power exhaust fan on my roof. I have vents in my soffits. My house is a traditional rectangular two story.

Is it okay to keep both venting systems.

If not, which should I have removed, the ridge vent or the power exhaust vent?

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 02-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #2

Attic Venting

I don't like powered vents unless they can sense smoke and flame and will auto shut off. You should be able to accomplish the same results with regular vents but climates are different so sizing requirements vary. I'd ask your roofer for recomendations since he is familiar with your area. Maybe ask a couple of roofers. HS

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #3

Attic Venting

[quote=hammerslammer]I don't like powered vents unless they can sense smoke and flame and will auto shut off.

Your comments were interesting. I had not thought of that. However, from a venting standpont only, maybe someone can add an input. I do intend to talk to a roofer, but a second opinion is always good to have.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #4

Attic Venting

I prefer the ridgevent idea. As long as you have sufficient soffit vents, it works well.
Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #5

Attic Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_K
I prefer the ridgevent idea. As long as you have sufficient soffit vents, it works well.
Thanks for responding.

Jerry
Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
Corporate Construction

Attic Venting

I have always found that a 4" wide hole cut all the way across your ridge is plenty. The most crutial parts of venting are that you insulation ins't touching your roof deck, plenty of soffeit venting, and a great ridge vent that is properly installed. if any of thses are compromised if will throw off your venting.
hav2bfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #7

Attic Venting

Sounds to me that your venting is OK. I don't like power vents either. Even without the power vent, I think you are OK.
Jim
jmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #8

Attic Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav2bfaster
I have always found that a 4" wide hole cut all the way across your ridge is plenty. The most crutial parts of venting are that you insulation ins't touching your roof deck, plenty of soffeit venting, and a great ridge vent that is properly installed. if any of thses are compromised if will throw off your venting.
Thanks for responding. I happen to pick up an attic ventilation booklet at a roofing supplier and it favors ridge versus power exhaust.

Jerry
Old 03-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #9

Attic Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan
Sounds to me that your venting is OK. I don't like power vents either. Even without the power vent, I think you are OK.
Jim
Thanks for your comments.

Jerry
Old 03-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
MJW

Attic Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan
Jim
I agree. The only reason maybe for the power vent would be if it had a humidistat on it. May possibly be an advantage, but I think ridge vent would be just fine and probably no problems.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote