DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Attic Ventilation. Somewhat confused!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ridgevilleac 
#1 ·
In reading the posts about attic ventilation I have become somewhat confused. I have a 7 year old 1800sf ranch style house I built from the ground. The house is 62 feet long. The roof is stepped 3 times with a total of 50 feet of shingle over ridge vent. I have vinyl soffit with continuous vent, and I have gable vents 6" from the bottom of the ridge board. The attic is one big open area. On say a 95 degree day it will easily reach 150 degrees up there. MY QUESTION! Will a power vent help? Do i need to eliminate gable vents? What can I do to get the temp down.

p.s. The shingles are dark green.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
am sure Ed will expound on this in great detail for you but I can tell you if you have proper airflow from soffit to ridge, the gable vents are actually having a negative impact. instead of drawing from the soffits, the ridge would draw from the gable vents. Don't remove them, just go up and cover them up and see if you notice a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.