Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
AKH

Rewards Points: 10

Attic ventilation project

I live in one of those houses where the second story is totally contained within the roof. Attached is a rough cross-section - attic space in grey, proposed rafter baffles (to keep top attic insulation from blocking the diagonal passageway connecting upper and lower attics) in red. The upper attic is 30x12 feet, the two lower attics 30x3. Attic height is about 5 feet.

My main question: for the purpose of determining the amount of needed ventilation, how do I measure the attic? Do I treat is as 30x12, 30x18, or somewhere in between?

My plan is to install static roof vents. Don't want ventilation with moving parts, can't afford the labor cost for installing ridge vents. 60 NFA slant roof vents aren't hard to find. The attic is short enough that I can cut the vent holes and apply the roofing cement from inside the attic, but I'll need a ladder to trim the shingles and nail in the vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Attic ventilation project-second-story-crosssection.gif  

AKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I would use 18 x30, I would put in 6 roof vents and 8 8x16 soffit vents. It's best if you have equal amounts of NFA at the intake and exhaust.

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
AKH

Rewards Points: 10

Some sources say that it's okay if the soffit vents have more NFA than the exhaust vents - what do you think?

Installing two 144NFA vents is sounding preferable to installing six smaller vents.
AKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

It's my opinion that more NFA at the exhhaust creates more draw at the intake. The hot air has to leave the attic in order to be replaced by cooler air. For sure a balanced system is good and you can't put to much ventilation in.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof vent, roof venting, roof vents