Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Attic Ventilation for Cold Master Bedroom

Hello,

Hope you can point me in the right direction. We have a hip roof that has rooms on each side including a large patio & garage. The builder sealed off part of the master bedroom with roof decking (the part of the room that extrudes from the main apex – there is no space from the top board to the start of the decking) I cannot access that part of the master bedroom without cutting a hole in the decking from inside the attic. I would assume there is no insulation (blown) in that part of the bedroom as its very cold /hot– overall the house is very cold/hot. My question is should I cut into / remove the decking to the master bedroom to improve ventilation and so I can blow insulation into the remaining part?

Also, I plan to add more blown insulation and install rafter vents where I can as the builder sealed each of the vent spaces (that I can access) with batt insulation. I’m really curious why they attempted to seal off the vent spaces as well as block the main apex of the attic from the rest of the rooms with decking (I would assume cutting corners and less insulation to buy). At any rate, please let me know your thoughts to my question– I can send pictures as well if needed ...too big for posting here.

I appreciate your help,

Sam
Attached Images

Last edited by smarque1; 01-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.
smarque1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

Is this a house you had built? If it was already built and someone added on that room later they just left the old roof decking.
I doubt someone would go to the trouble and expence to try and cover it up to save $30.00 in isulation cost.
In my area by code there should have had an opening to get into that area anyway. For firefighter access.
You did not add where you live so anyone would have to guess on codes or how much insulation you should have.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
smarque1 (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

There is a very good reason why they did what they did.

They are idiots.

I hope this answers your question.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
smarque1 (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I am the second owner unfortunately. To your point I believe the room could have been extended as the room and square footage is actually bigger than whats on record. The patio (as seen in snapshot) is also blocked off by roof decking however there are vents covered with batt insulation at the bottom from the main attic space (pictured). I guess my question is should I open a space up to the master bedroom from the attic? If so should I open as much as I can to increase ventilation or just a small space to blow insulation? I could leave it closed and blow in from the ceiling but would probably cause more work/mess.

As for location, I live in the desert southwest (El Paso, TX) as noted by the swamp cooler in the picture (next on my list to replace).

Thanks,

Sam
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Your not going to gain anything by opening it any more the you need to to get in to make sure the soffits are not blocked, add foam baffles so insulation stays away from the soffit area and insulate.
http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
smarque1 (01-07-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #6

What's with the Crows Nest ?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Hello,

Quick update. I broke into the roof decking and indeed have lots of space that is not insulated adjacent to the main attic space. Refer to pictures 4-6. I have the following questions:

1. Pictures 4 & 5 are of the attic space i broke into for my covered patio. Question here is if I should insulate the space and put rafter vents or keep it closed off & un-insulated from the rest of the main attic space like it is now - there are soffit vents all around the patio space.

2. Picture 6 is the un-insulated space over my master bedroom. I cannot make it to the edge to remove the blocking batts due to the trusses. Question here is should I cut into the trusses so I can remove the batts blocking the soffits to install rafter vents for insulation? Or, should I just leave as is due to the obstruction and fill with insulation? I was looking at cutting into one side of the "X " pictured. I it looks like this would remian stable if i removed one side to access.

Thanks for your help here.

Sam
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarque1 View Post
Hello,

Quick update. I broke into the roof decking and indeed have lots of space that is not insulated adjacent to the main attic space. Refer to pictures 4-6. I have the following questions:

1. Pictures 4 & 5 are of the attic space i broke into for my covered patio. Question here is if I should insulate the space and put rafter vents or keep it closed off & un-insulated from the rest of the main attic space like it is now - there are soffit vents all around the patio space.

Are you treating it as conditioned space? If so, it needs to be insulated.

Is there ridge/exhaust venting on these sections?

2. Picture 6 is the un-insulated space over my master bedroom. I cannot make it to the edge to remove the blocking batts due to the trusses. Question here is should I cut into the trusses so I can remove the batts blocking the soffits to install rafter vents for insulation? Or, should I just leave as is due to the obstruction and fill with insulation? I was looking at cutting into one side of the "X " pictured. I it looks like this would remian stable if i removed one side to access.

No. You would be far better suited to remove the soffits (also easier if you have worked with it), install the insulation vent chutes, re-install the soffits, blow the attic full at that point.

Do not cut the trusses.

Thanks for your help here.

Sam
See above.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
smarque1 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #9

All the attics should be connected-- except one over an attached garage unless no attic access there, to promote air-flow. Cut out the sheathing between the trusses, up high for air-flow. Use the patio vents as part of your soffit venting if they are screened: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Gary
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

To ass to what Gary said, you also need to have access to all the attic areas.

The access points are also regulated by code at min. 22" x 30".

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote