Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Ventilation with Cathedral Ceiling

First post, be gentle.

I did the math on my roof for my 1400 sq ft house and the 2 whirlybirds I have should be adequate with the 12" x12" intakes along my soft fit. So I haven't really worried about myattic airflow.

However, the other day I was re-running some cable in the attic and realized that the 2nd whirlybird is located just above the start of the 1/4th of the house with the cathedral ceiling. There is a gap in the joists that allows a 3" * 12" (IIRC) space of airflow, but I'm thinking this probably isn't enough. All my calculations for efficient airflow are based on the actual attic (the part I can crawl around in) and not the cathedral ceiling.

My question is, should I add another whirlybird? If yes, will that throw the airflow off?

hairlesspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 176

Is there a full attic above the cathedral or is it cathedral to the ridge? If its cathedral to the ridge you need ridge vent above that section, to vent each rafter bay separately.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

It's cathedral on that part to the rafter. I need a new roof anyway and ridge is going to be my SOP. I'm less concerned about the cathedral as I about the other place since my 1960s North Texas house has ducts in the attic. (Yes they are insulated and sealed with mastic, but still...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any facing/vapor retarders present? Did you figure 1/300 or 1/150 on main attic? How many soffit vents- they should be distributed evenly throughout soffit length.....?

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

No vapor barrier. I went back and measured the soffit holes. I have 9 total (2 on one side and 7 on the other) roughly 12" by 12". On the one under eave of the roof is a long vent hole that is about 3' by 1' that runs the length of the roof run and one 12" whirlybird.

I'm not sure what the long vent does since it's long enough to be low enough to draw in air but also high enough to exhaust it, however, I know it won't do both. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

A picture would help.... Without a vapor retarder/barrier, figure using the 1/150 math; http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Are the holes screened/louvered or just big screen? You should have 9sq.in. of soffit vent per foot, to meet the 1/150, same with exhaust- for each side of a gable roof, deduct for any louvers/screens for the NFVA. Figure the whirly as hole size only... and they do have their drawbacks.

Gary

Roofers Advice (04-26-2014)