Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Ventilation

I recently installed perforated vinyl soffits. Ihe soffits were installed over plywood with continuous metal venting. The perforated vinyl soffit is the same as is installed on all new home construction. Will the little holes in the vinyl soffit allow proper air ventilation flow through the covered/existing metal venting into my attic? I live in Georgia and the temperature in my attic is very high. I am not sure what my roof pitch is although it is very high. My insulation does not cover the vents. I have a continuous roof vent. Does a gable mount fan improve or defeat air ventilation in the attic? Thanks!

Jim Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
old timer

Rewards Points: 75

Attic Ventilation

I think it would depend on how much air was passing through the vinyl soffit.

A gable fan will improve the attic ventilation as seen in these videos.

Attic ventilation smoke test

Attic fan smoke test

dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Attic Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rambo View Post
I recently installed perforated vinyl soffits. Ihe soffits were installed over plywood with continuous metal venting. The perforated vinyl soffit is the same as is installed on all new home construction. Will the little holes in the vinyl soffit allow proper air ventilation flow through the covered/existing metal venting into my attic? I live in Georgia and the temperature in my attic is very high. I am not sure what my roof pitch is although it is very high. My insulation does not cover the vents. I have a continuous roof vent. Does a gable mount fan improve or defeat air ventilation in the attic? Thanks!
Before installing a fan, make sure the attic is air sealed. If there are penetrations from below, a fan can de-pressurize the attic causing conditioned air to be pulled from inside.

It sounds as if the soffit vents have been somewhat restricted by adding the vinyl vents over them. I suspect the input is not as good as it was before the vinyl was added, which makes air sealing more important.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote