Attic Ventilation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic ventilation

Hello and thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am looking to install additional ventilation in my attic to decrease the temperature during the summer months and to remove stale air ( I dont think I have an issue with moisture)... The volume of the attic space is approximately 1750 cu ft (32ft L, 22ft W, 5ft H).. The volume is actually a bit less, since the roof is sloped on all four sides, not just two. There are soffits installed, but no soffit vents, and there is a gable vent w/ mesh screen at the front of the house. The gable vent is roughly 16in x 16in, which would give me about 1.8 sq ft of intake/exhaust area (minus a few points from the screen).. I know that I will have to install soffit vents if I install an attic fan, but what I would like to know is if I should install the soffit vents first and see if that alone would give me the desired airflow, before going ahead with attic fan installation.. I would also like to know if a 1000 cfm fan would be overkill for such a small attic space, especially since it is not airtight.. Going by the attic size calculations, to perform 10 air exchanges in an hour in a 1750 cu ft space (17500 cfh), I would need only a 300 cfm fan (17500/60).. I also have an old chimney which has some cracks in the bricks, so I do not want to start pulling air from unwanted areas... Also, ridge vents are not an option for me... If you need any more information, please let me know.. I can also provide pictures as well.. Thank you in advance..

- Joe

Advertisement

MonteCarloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Attic ventilation

Don't want to sound rude, but myself and others have typed ALOT of posts about this exact topic. Do a search on this site for ridge vent, attic venting, etc. Take a read, jot down some notes, and then post back if you've got a specific question afterwards. I know for a fact there is all sorts of information on here are ventilation requirements and options.

Advertisement

seeyou (08-01-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Attic ventilation

I looking for a Model R-26 Attic Ventilator fan motor model A051082008
henrym is offline   Reply With Quote