Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

attic roof supports

I'm finishing (insulating, drywall and OSB board) my garage. Previous owner kept roofing materials in attic and had attached shelving to the Joists. I've kept some items in attic and on shelving. I had an inspection done on the house when I bought it and there was something said on how I should be careful what I put up in the attic and on the shelves because of lack of support. But if I wanted to I could add more support boards between the rafters and joists. I've taken numerous pictures to help illistrate my situation:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e..._bucket/attic/

as the picture's sort of shows there are about 4 2X6 running put to the peak from the joists. there are also a couple of boards running side to side connected the rafters. two of these boards seem to be pulling away from the rafters and the gap is growing. Noticed that the rafters and joist are offset a bit, I think there's probably a better way of connecting these so it is a flat connection.

I plan on adding more supports down the center. I'm thinking I could add some off to the sides of the attic platform floor about half way on the slants for the roof straight down to the rafters.

Which is the best way? Could putting these "supports" in cause my roof to sag? Or is this still a good idea? I've eliminated most of the weight that has been in the attic, and don't plan to put anything heavy up there anymore, but I'm also adding the weight of a ceiling onto it.

We do get snow, so that weight is also a factor.

Robare is offline   Reply With Quote