Is This Attic Mold? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Gary in WA
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Is this Attic Mold?

Hello,
We are selling our house and buyer's inspector verbally stated that it looks like we have mold in our attic. I have doubts. Here are some images. To me it looks like some type of over-spray on the paneling prior to installation. There are no areas where the pattern continues from one sheet to another. The attic is bone-dry with no evidence of moisture/leaking/etc. These patterns are all over the place on different panels. The house is a 9 year old colonial, has a very roomy attic with ridge vent. Mold just doesn't make sense to me. Now I have to pay someone $300 to come out and test it, then some BS about a remediation. I'm going to test it myself tonight and also spray some bleach on an area to see what affect it has on it. Any input or explanation that can be offered? Thank You.

Advertisement

CPLE1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,680

Re: Is this Attic Mold?

Pictures are needed to offer any opinion.
One defense might be to identify the typical sources of moisture getting into the attic and document that none of them present. Examples:
1. Bath fan vented into attic
2. Kitchen fan vented into attic.
3. Dryer (heaven forbid) the same.
4. A water leak but that would typically limit the mold to the area of the leak.
5. Air leakage from house to attic. Long list but it would have to be a major leak if the ventilation is working.
6. You mention "ridge vent" but there have been MANY cases where a lazy roofer forgot or otherwise did not cut the underlayment back to allow the vent to function.
7. In addition to a high vent you need soffit vents or other low vents. Soffit vents can sometimes get blocked by the insulation.
8. a leaky or disconnected supply duct in the attic. Are there ducts up there?

Check around the large plumbing vent both in the basement and attic to see if the builder sealed around those openings. If not, then he surely didn't seal all of the rest. If you can identify many examples of air sealing, which should be there on a newer home, then that would help with your argument.

Bud

Advertisement

Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #3

Images now in Album.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Got a link to that album??

Being just 9 years old, if that builder is still around he might be willing to take a look to defend the quality of his work. And he would be a professional who might identify what you are looking at.

Bud
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,060

Ayuh,.... I agree with you, the inspector don't know his butt from a hole in the ground,....

Donno what it is, but it looks Nothin' like mold,....

Like you say, over-spray, or spilt something before it was used in the build,...
craig11152 likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Looking at the post, it shows my album to the left below my username. I tried inserting external links of the pictures in the original post but it didn't work.

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/c...ms/attic-mold/
Old 03-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPLE1818 View Post
Looking at the post, it shows my album to the left below my username. I tried inserting external links of the pictures in the original post but it didn't work.

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/c...ms/attic-mold/
'n now that ya got 3 posts, you should have full member privileges,...
craig11152 likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Sorry, in all my time here that is the first time anyone actually used their album.

Anyway, IMO, it could be mold. The pattern is similar to what I have seen. If you use a rag with 10%+ bleach and wipe an area, if it is mold it will wipe off. If it is paint splatter it will probably stay.

If it is mold the real problem is why and that goes to finding the source of the moisture Use a punk stick or other safe source of smoke and check to verify that the ridge vent is moving air to the outside.

If it is mold then bringing in a crew to clean it up is the best option as new buyers will want a written guarantee.

Bud
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,498

-------------------------------Welcome to the forum!---------------------

Looks like mildew I have seen numerous times on OSB, mostly the bottom panel or two in a stack as it is usually stored with a cover but on 2x dunnage at the house, job site. Notice it is only on one area and the abutting sheet is completely clean, in many pictures... That alone tells me it is NOT from moisture in the attic, but got wet on site from being too close to the ground- the builder's worker shouldn't have used that one- or those, as it was already there when lifted to roof. Job-site care; http://www.eximcorp.co.in/pdf/osb-humid-environment.pdf

Gary
craig11152 likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,324

If it is mold it looks like it didn't grow there. As mentioned, more likely from exposure to weather at the lumber yard or job site. As mentioned, it could also be spatter from oil, paint, tar, etc. while on the ground at the job site.
craig11152 likes this.
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 192

Out of curiosity are you in a sellers market, a buyers market or a neutral market?
As others have suggested it doesn't look like some sort of ongoing problem to me.

Advertisement