DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Attic insulation

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Slyfox 
#1 ·
Hi there,
we've been having some major problems with ice daming, so its been determined that we should add some more insulation to the floor of our attic.
We currently use out attic for storage space (this was a big selling feature when we bought the house)
the current insulation is 3.5 inches high pink stuff with loose fill on top maybe an inche worth and it goes right to the top of the joists. is there some way to add more insultation plus still keep the attic for storage?? any suggestions, on how to do this??

also, i wanted to coment, that from the outside of out house it doesn't appear that we have any soffit vents ( I should be able to see them right?) i understand this could be part od out problem.

and the insulation inside the attic, is there suppose to be some in the corners where the roof meets the floor?? i guess where the over hang would be ??

thanks for any help!

#2 ·
go look under the soffits outs side. Are they aluminum with slits in them. Are they wood with like a silver vent in them every so many feet. Or wood with a continuous slit in them with screen underneath. If you don't see anything then you need to get some soffit vents. Sounds like you have enough insulation in that attic if you have pink with loose fill on top which is higher then your joists. Ice dams can be a problem. But there are solutions from roofers which i'm not. Like adding somekind of heating element on the roof where the dam occurs.

#3 ·
Rule of thumb, if you can see the tops of the floor trusses you probably do not have enough insulation.
Yes the insulation should be continues along the overhang areas but should have a breathing space.
Yes you should be able to look up at your eaves and see intake vents in your overhang coverings, if you do not have Intake, Breathing Space and Exhaust all three at the same time, no amount of insulation will cure your problem.
Having proper ventilation and insulation will not interfere with the storage space.

Search out a local roofing contractor for a FREE estimate, and ask them about your situation once their on site.
When you compare the cost of a DIY'r chance of error to a Contractors cost, many times in situations that are concerning the longevity of your structure and comfort of your family, the cheaper route is to hire the contractor.

#4 ·
Ok, from my understanding from the local hardware guys is that sttic insultation should be at least 6 inches thick. r-value of 20, if that the case, then i obviously don't have enough insulation even after I install the soffit vents, which i clearly don't have.
I have cedar on the front of the house which is built up into the over hang. there are no vents.

my question i guess is, if i do still need to add insultation, how can i maintain the storage area in the attic?

#5 ·
R-value for attic floors is subject to regional needs: I.e. - What a home needs in N.Carolina, is not the same in Maine, or Canada.

Here is a link (PDF) that discusses attic insulation and ventilation. Look on page 3. There is a diagram listing the recommended ceiling R-values for different geographic locations in the U.S. - This is an example. You should contact your local building dept. for your requirements: http://southface.org/web/resources&services/publications/factsheets/25_insulateceilings_4pdf.pdf

As far as adding the insulation and still having storage: You would have to remove the current floor sheathing. Then, confirm the the insulation that you will be adding, and the amount of space you will actually need (in terms of added height/thickness).
Once you do that, you will have the dimension of space that you need to "add" to your attic floor joists.
It will then be a matter of adding additional lumber to build-up the floor joists, add your additional insulation, and last - install new floorsheathing, or re-use the old sheathing. Whatever you do....you do not want to "compress" the new insulation in any way.

http://saveenergy.owenscorningblog.com/2008/07/question_what_should_we_do_to.html

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry, my fingers can't always keep up with my thoughts.
All I meant was the flooring could be reinstalled for your storage area needs.

I would surely attempt to salvage as much of the old flooring as possible when you lift it up.

Check out Smart Vent to get an idea about your ventilation needs.
Theres a text link on the left of the home page for 'Cedar Vent'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.