Attic Condensation Problems - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic condensation problems

Hello,

I'm using rough estimates but they are close.......I have a cape cod house with a pretty steep roof.

The roof was just recently redone a couple of years ago with brand new sheathing and shingles however we are experiencing huge condensation problems now.

Previous to the roof being redone I had finshed the attic rooms and to my dismay have recntly found out that I may have put the batted insulation in, in a manner that does not allow the air to properly flow from the soffit vents to the roof vents.

There are only three roof vents up near the ridge on the back side of the roof. This is turning into a large problem and the only thing I can think of doing at this time is to try and tear out the insulation from the eaves.....it may require some finagling but oh well.....

and to install a ridge vent to have much better venting at the peak of the roof on both sides.

I'm not sure if there is any way I would be able to put rafter vents up now without tearing down all the drywall and insulation and redoing everything.

Any advice would greatly appreciated...

TY
Aiya

Advertisement

vVvAiyanavVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you sealed the roof rafters against the roof sheathing with batt insulation and no ventilation then YES>.. to fix it you will need to remove the drywall and replace the insulation. The moisture in the insulation makes this type of material useless.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

What about just removing the insulation by pulling it out, instead of tearing down the drywall.......at this point I am more concerned with creating proper ventilation more than re-insulating
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

And how will you do this? How will you fit the venting forms install new insulation with a continuous vapor barrier?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

The lack of a continuous ridge vent is one of the problems, but before you go pulling out the insulation, which also contributes to the condensation problem, is there a gap of at least 1" obove the insulation and below the roof deck sheathing?

You also Must address a continuous intake ventilation system as part of the solution too.

Where in Illinois are you located?

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
The lack of a continuous ridge vent is one of the problems, but before you go pulling out the insulation, which also contributes to the condensation problem, is there a gap of at least 1" obove the insulation and below the roof deck sheathing?

You also Must address a continuous intake ventilation system as part of the solution too.

Where in Illinois are you located?

Ed
I'm located in Frankfort, IL.

I'm quite sure there is not 1" space. Unfortunately when I insulated I was following the progress of what I had already seen in the house in other rooms, and learned recently the flanges on the batt's are supposed to be stapled to the narrow edge that the drywall is nailed to and not the wider edge that the batts themselves lay inside of.

I am pretty sure this would this would takle away that inch that is supposed to be between the insulation and the sheathing.

The house was also recently the victim of a weekend home makeover project put together by people seeking there fifteen minutes of fame in the local newpapers. Sorry to sound resentful, but I was opposed to the idea to begin with, and we have had a lot of problems we never had before this happened.

Sorry to rant, but I am unsure if they properly reinstalled the 3 roof vents when they redid the sheathing and shingles on the roof.

I did just install a full length soffeit vent system on the side of the house the vents are on. I was planning on putting soffit vents on the other side this spring and putting a ridge vent up as well.

I'm sure this would give adequate ventilation aside from the fact that I am pretty sure the insulation will get in the way.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Even with the insulation in the way, impeding direct flowage, by having the fully ented soffits on both sides and the ridge vent, (I suggest Shingle Vent II from Air Vent Corp.), there will still be a release of some of the trapped heat and correlating humidity.

Not the advisable approach for sure, but it "May" alleviate your condensation problems.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 170

Be careful if there is moisture or the insulation feels wet, it can turn to mold which can become a huge problem.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #9

We have a similar attic condensation problem with our brick cape code outside of Chicago. The house has no soffits so I'm wondering what is the best way to increase air circulation? turbine vents, gabel vents, something else? Thanks.
npbmjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbmjb View Post
We have a similar attic condensation problem with our brick cape code outside of Chicago. The house has no soffits so I'm wondering what is the best way to increase air circulation? turbine vents, gabel vents, something else? Thanks.
I would stick with Ed's shingle vent. Turbine vents will depressurize the attic and pull conditioned air from the home. Why waste energy when a better fix is available.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,080

Npb, is the condensation in the knee wall attics or on the sloped ceilings?

If a remodel, did you air sealed the knee wall or ceiling with the ADA; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Is there foam board or house wrap on the attic side of the knee wall? http://www.simplesavings.coop/simple...ee%20walls.pdf

Where exactly is the condensation? Have you painted the sloped ceiling with a vapor barrier primer?

Gary

Advertisement