Attic Baffles But No Overhang Or Soffit Vents. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Attic baffles but no overhang or soffit vents.

I have foam baffles in my attic. My understanding is these are to keep a channel free of insulation so air can flow up from the soffit vents. Only thing is my roof has no overhang and therefor no soffit vents. Are they serving any other purpose?

Advertisement

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptron View Post
I have foam baffles in my attic. My understanding is these are to keep a channel free of insulation so air can flow up from the soffit vents. Only thing is my roof has no overhang and therefor no soffit vents. Are they serving any other purpose?
Probably not. Any venting at the frieze, drip edge, or elsewhere other than the soffit?

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,080

1. Is the foam butting against the back of the fascia board, with no gap?

2. Do the baffles extend all the way up to the ridge, or just one at the bottom?

3. Are they in every bay?

4. Do you have any exhaust venting? Gable vent, turtle-back or pot vent, ridge vent, etc.?

General info: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Possible solutions: http://www.cor-a-vent.com/in-vent.cfm

http://www.cor-a-vent.com/PDF/S4002P.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Probably not. Any venting at the frieze, drip edge, or elsewhere other than the soffit?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
1. Is the foam butting against the back of the fascia board, with no gap?
I don't know. I'll have to check. There isn't really a fascia board.

Quote:
2. Do the baffles extend all the way up to the ridge, or just one at the bottom?
Just one at the bottom.

Quote:
3. Are they in every bay?
Except for in the corners, yes.

Quote:
4. Do you have any exhaust venting? Gable vent, turtle-back or pot vent, ridge vent, etc.?
4 turtle back vents.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Handyman

You must have a fascia otherwise what are the eaves nailed to? Can you get a pic looking up under the eaves?
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
You must have a fascia otherwise what are the eaves nailed to?
I don't really have what I would call eaves. There's what appears to be aluminum covered 2x4 around the perimeter.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

The fascia board is behind the gutter. In post #3, check out the roof top eave vents, just above the gutter.

1. How many square feet is the house?

2. How many turtle back vents?

3. Do you get ice dams in Winter?

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
The fascia board is behind the gutter. In post #3, check out the roof top eave vents, just above the gutter.
I saw that. Something to consider I guess whenever I need a new roof.

Quote:
1. How many square feet is the house?
~800

Quote:
2. How many turtle back vents?
Four. One on each side.

Quote:
3. Do you get ice dams in Winter?
No and I was about the only one around who didn't.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 42

What about mold, moisture or high temp problems in the attic? You have to wonder if there isn't some sort of intake ventillation concealed there somewhere if someone went to the trouble of installing all those baffles.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
What about mold, moisture or high temp problems in the attic? You have to wonder if there isn't some sort of intake ventillation concealed there somewhere if someone went to the trouble of installing all those baffles.
I'll look again but it really doesn't look like there's anything there. This is a pretty odd and cheaply built house (The walls are cinderblock all the way up to the roof!) not to mention it's 60 odd years old. I don't see any signs of mold or mildew but it does get really really hot up there.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #11

If those roof vents are 7x7" = 49 = about 38 sq.in.NFVA 800 sq.ft. / 150 = 5.33 / 2 = 2.67sq.ft. for intakes, same for exhaust if no vapor barrier above ceiling on attic side. the pot exhaust vents---- 38 x 4 = 152sq.in. minus the total--2.67 x 144 = 385
You need 233 more or 6 more exhaust near ridge. Using rooftop intake over the soffit vents at 10NFVA per lin.ft., you need 35’.
Be sure to air seal the attic first: http://www.rd.com/how-to-seal-attic-...icle18158.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
MJW

If you air seal the ceiling, you will seal it up completely and without an air exchanger your house will mold from the inside out.

The vents are fighting each other up there being there is one on each side. Air is coming in one and thrown right out the other, and not taking any warm moist air with it. You need to have someone take out some of the vents, put them on one side and install some more vents lower on the roof. Those will act as intake vents.

Your house was designed with cheap energy in mind. Probably was meant to lose heat and keep the roof clear. Many homes up here built in the 60's had the sealed roof system. There is probably very little insulation in the attic. That can be done when the roof and the new vents are installed.

Air sealing and insulation is a great idea. Just plan to spend the money to get your house as a system, up and running efficiently.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
If you air seal the ceiling, you will seal it up completely and without an air exchanger your house will mold from the inside out.

The vents are fighting each other up there being there is one on each side. Air is coming in one and thrown right out the other, and not taking any warm moist air with it. You need to have someone take out some of the vents, put them on one side and install some more vents lower on the roof. Those will act as intake vents.

Your house was designed with cheap energy in mind. Probably was meant to lose heat and keep the roof clear. Many homes up here built in the 60's had the sealed roof system. There is probably very little insulation in the attic. That can be done when the roof and the new vents are installed.

Air sealing and insulation is a great idea. Just plan to spend the money to get your house as a system, up and running efficiently.
Actually, there's a ton of insulation up there. A foot to foot and a half of blown in cellulose over some old compacted bats. I would presume the cellulose and styrofoam baffles are of relatively recent vintage compared to the rest of the house. I never had ice damns or icicles or anything last winter (southern Wisconsin).

I'll keep all this stuff in mind for when the roof gets redone in 5-10 years but in the meantime I'm not really having any problems. I think my far bigger insulation (or lack of it) problem is the walls. They're uninsulated right now and being concrete block there really isn't a good way to do anything about it.

Advertisement