DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

attaching ridge beam to existing house

17K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tpolk 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I wish I would have snapped a few pictures, but I'll try to explain as best as i can in the interim.

I'm doing a screened-in deck on the 1st floor of a 2-story house, and need to tie my ridge beam into the existing wall structure of the house. Any recommendations on the best way?

I thought of just getting 2 pieces of angle-iron, through bolting to the ridge beam, and then lag bolting to existing studs in the wall... any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks in advance!

#5 · (Edited)
I'm gonna jump on the "get someone who knows what's up" bandwagon here, but for clarification: If you have a structural ridge "beam" then it's likely there will not be any ceiling joists. Using a a ridge beam is one way of creating a vaulted ceiling. If there is going to be a horizontal ceiling stacked on top of the walls, then it's likely you've got a ridge board and it won't be structural, just providing a surface for opposing rafters to bear against.

#4 ·
As Scuba noted, a ridge BEAM is a structural element specifically designed to carry roof weight (typically half the roof load). A ridge beam must be designed by a qualified professional, and because the supports are critical, part of the design of the ridge beam is a set of details of the connection between the ridge beam supports and the ridge beam itself. If you have a ridge beam, you must support it correctlly, meaning the roof load must be carried down through the framing to the foundation.

If you have a ridge board, as Scuba noted, you have a non-stgructural element, which is held up by the rafters. If you don't know which you have, I recommend you seek professional assistance in developing a framing plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.