Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #1

Share |

Attaching gable porch roof to wall

Hi everyone I'm new here. I've searched & searched and haven't found an answer to my dilemma. I need to build a small gable roof (5x9) over a porch on a split-level. The roof will be attached well under the house roof on the exterior wall & supported on the outside corners by 8" columns. My question is how to properly attach it to the wall. I think I have the right idea in mind but I would love to have some more expert advice on the subject as well as the best way to cut away the vinyl siding, sealing it to the house, etc. Thanks in advance!

grpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Attaching gable porch roof to wall

Figure out where the rafters land, the thickness of the deck sheathing, the thickness of the roof and underlay. Cut the siding at least an inch higher than that. The step flashing goes behind the siding if that's what you're referring to by "sealing it to the house,".
You'll have to make a trim piece to finish it off.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote