Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Atlas 35 yr Pinnacle Laminated Shingles

I have experienced problems with my roof, seal down is not working, shingles blow up, roof leaks, Insurance inspector and 2 roofing contractors said defective shingles, took out 2 tabs, sent to Atlas, they sent me a check for 1/4 of cost to replace roof, roof has been on for 12 yrs, Estimates for replacement is $19,500.00. Atlas says it don't pay for tear offs or replacements. Anybody got ideals on fixing my roof and not at my expense

Stampco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Has the Roofing contractor tried to get your roof bought on the fact that your roof might have hail damage since the roofs wind damage it the question

BradBragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBragg View Post
Has the Roofing contractor tried to get your roof bought on the fact that your roof might have hail damage since the roofs wind damage it the question
Are you really suggesting this?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampco View Post
I have experienced problems with my roof, seal down is not working, shingles blow up, roof leaks, Insurance inspector and 2 roofing contractors said defective shingles, took out 2 tabs, sent to Atlas, they sent me a check for 1/4 of cost to replace roof, roof has been on for 12 yrs, Estimates for replacement is $19,500.00. Atlas says it don't pay for tear offs or replacements. Anybody got ideals on fixing my roof and not at my expense
Do you have any pictures of the roof in question. Did you roofer identify any hail damage?

Do not flirt with asking your roofer, or contract for that matter, with a roofer that would even remotely attempt to push the expense of a defective roofing material on your insurance company.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

$19,500 that must be on heck of a roof.
How many squares is it?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Home Performance

I agree with WoW and Joe.... Anyone that would try to "scam" free stuff for you will just as easily turn around and scam you for his/her own benefit. Stay away.... Also, $19k is a pretty penny. If you have a home that is large enough to justify that price, it is a shame to have chosen a bargain product.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Have 91 sqs of roof for replacement, Insurance would not buy the hail damage, wanted me to raise each tab and caulk with tar for the seal down, just wondering if any class action suits were filed against Atlas Roofing
Stampco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Home Performance

After 12 yrs the fact that you were able to get 1/4 of the cost is not too shabby. That is one large roof so obviously it is an expense that you don't want, but I don't see any way that you'll get anyone else to pay for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
MJW (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #9

91 SQUARE! That's a pretty big roof. Sounds like you are getting all you can from Atlas. Most manufacturers are pretty stingy with warranty money. good luck on the next roof.
I think you should move on and research shingle warranties, and more importantly, performance.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampco View Post
Have 91 sqs of roof for replacement, Insurance would not buy the hail damage, wanted me to raise each tab and caulk with tar for the seal down, just wondering if any class action suits were filed against Atlas Roofing
Was the roof measured by the same contractor that tried to pass off a shingle failure as hail damage? Just wondering because 9100 sq/ft would make for an extremely large home. Is this a residential application?

Also, 12 years out of a dimensional shingle is actually not as bad as it appears but when you compare it to so-called "warranty" it seems worse than it is.

I have yet to see a 30-year dimensional shingle that has lasted its full warranty term. 12 years is a faster than tolerable failure, however, shingle failures at 18-20 years is quite normal.

You might try to go back to Atlas and get 1/3rd of the value but after that, you are getting a decent deal.

Did your roofer look at the ventilation on the roof or any other causative factors that might have contributed to the failure?
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Brenda T (01-06-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed
I agree with WoW and Joe.... Anyone that would try to "scam" free stuff for you will just as easily turn around and scam you for his/her own benefit. Stay away.... Also, $19k is a pretty penny. If you have a home that is large enough to justify that price, it is a shame to have chosen a bargain product.
I agree 100%.

This is not an insurance claim. Any roofer who would suggest this should be banned from your property.

For Atlas to cover 1/4 of the replacement sounds like they are honoring the wording of their warranty as it was written back then.

On the new roof go with a quality product. With having a 91 sq roof I find it hard to believe that you don't have the money needed to replace the main item that protects your entire home from the elements.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
I agree 100%.

This is not an insurance claim. Any roofer who would suggest this should be banned from your property.

For Atlas to cover 1/4 of the replacement sounds like they are honoring the wording of their warranty as it was written back then.

On the new roof go with a quality product. With having a 91 sq roof I find it hard to believe that you don't have the money needed to replace the main item that protects your entire home from the elements.
91 sq roof = HUGE HOUSE if it is one floor....imagine it is 3 levels.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

We did a 65 square roof in March of 2010. Roof came out to be nearly 21k after a discount.

For a 91sq roof to be 19k, someone is getting a heck of a deal. Less than $210 a square?! That is actually scary.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #14

Yeah, warranties of that era only covered materials.

A GAF Certified Contractor can offer you a full systems warranty on your new roof, which would cover materials AND labor in case of a manufacturing defect.

If the shingles don't seal and you don't want to replace them, you can use sealant under the shingles to get them to stick back down. It's not a great solution, but at least you have a choice.

Double-A is offline   Reply With Quote