Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Asphalt Shingles-What's Best??

Hello,
We need to replace our roof here in So. Oregon. Has anyone used Owens Corning Oak Pro 30? This seems to be the most available shingle in our area. I looked on Consumer Reports and they rated in fifth following, Certainteed Grand Manor, Landmark 50 and Landmark TL, and GAF Timberline Ultra. Any thoughts?
THANKS, TMR

Last edited by tmreppert; 09-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.
tmreppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #2

I'm no roofer, but i did roof my house with these. I did'nt have any problems and they look good.

sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to amazer

I can't speak with any authority on this, but since we're having our roof done, I did quite a bit of research on ContractorTalk.com. Almost all the contractors dissed Owens Corning. The other shingle companies got mixed reviews--some very positive, but always a few guys who had had bad experiences with any given product. However, my impression was that no one thought the OC product was all that great.

You might want toperuse the contactor feedback on that site.

I decided to go with GAF Timberline Ultra, since they had decent reviews and we liked the color we decided on. The job won't start til next week, so give me a call in 25 years and I'll let you know how it worked out. (I hate smiley faces too, so excuse that).
amazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #4

I noticed that to. Everyone on the forums seem to dislike OC. On the other hand, everyone locally likes OC (at least in my area). It seems like there are some geographical regions that swear by OC. At first I thought it was because OC was cheaper, but that is not the case. I asked a few local roofers and the supply house guy, and they all said that they like OC the best. I went with them and I am pretty much happy with my decision. I definitely like the duration line. I would have went with that if they had it in my area when I did my roof.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #5

I have tried them all over the years and would say the best for your money is GAF Timberline Ultra. second best Certainteed followed by OC.
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

In oregon,the MALARKY shingles rule supreme

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
In oregon,the MALARKY shingles rule supreme
Are those the ones with the 1-1/2" nailing line? I think I have heard of these, but never seen them. Not sold up here that I know of.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
MJW

The contractors here and on contracortalk have been over this many times. I like landmarks from Certainteed the best, but it seems to depend alot on what part of the country you are in. The Timberlines have been getting a little better up here in MN, but still not as sturdy as the Landmarks IMO. They both are top brands. Both have had their share of lawsuits, and large scale warranty claims. For a DIY'er either one would be great. If you have a contractor, you should trust him and use what they suggest. The contractor is the one who has to warranty his labor. Sometimes the labor can only be as good as the materials used.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #9

the ones w/the 1 1/2" nailing line(lol)is cert.landmark wide track,it`s a joke because4 they make it the same just put another line higher up,I don`t care as long as it`s gaf,tamko,or certainteed--malarkey is sbs w/an extra high wind rating

Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
the ones w/the 1 1/2" nailing line(lol)is cert.landmark wide track,it`s a joke because4 they make it the same just put another line higher up,I don`t care as long as it`s gaf,tamko,or certainteed--malarkey is sbs w/an extra high wind rating
We put on landmarks all the time. It's our #1 shingle. They didn't just add another line as it may seem. They actually re-enforced the face of the shingle to handle the higher nailing. This was to compete with another brand shingle, but I can't remember what it was. I thought it may be malarky. I don't buy it on the certainteeds, but if the nail doesn't go through the shingle it will still have a warranty if it's between the lines.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreppert View Post
Hello,
We need to replace our roof here in So. Oregon. Has anyone used Owens Corning Oak Pro 30? This seems to be the most available shingle in our area. I looked on Consumer Reports and they rated in fifth following, Certainteed Grand Manor, Landmark 50 and Landmark TL, and GAF Timberline Ultra. Any thoughts?
THANKS, TMR

How long do you plan on living in the home?

If you plan on living there longer than 20 years then go with a longer rated warranty shingle. It may cost a few hundred dollars more now but you will not have to pay for an entire roof as soon.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #12

OK, thread poster you posted days ago. You have reached out for info and
have made your decision. What did you do?

OC has the best manufacturers warranty ( it is really just a marketing thing.) Kinda like a tire thing.

So, which way did you go and why?

The bums all add dirt in as a filler to the asphalt (filler) {lots cheaper than crude}.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
MJW

How do they have the best warranty? Myself, I have never seen them pay out a warranty claim.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #14

I`ve used the certainteed wide track also,but on a steep pitch,they heat up +fall out unless they`re nailed thru the double thickness,I just wouldn`t want problems w/my clients whether or not the mfgr will foot the bill---I personally don`t like the owens corning,and the solid sealant line traps water and creates a problem

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
DAV

Aftger reading some of the info I still find no real solid answer as the the best/better shingle to use in MN. We have Certainteed on the house now and after 12 years the roff is SHOT/KAPUT. So any advice we want to retire and sell in bout 8-12 years and want a solid shingle, so we do not have to repalce before we sell or Ahemm in 12 yrs again.

DAV is offline   Reply With Quote