DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

asphalt shingles at ridge

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Windows 
#1 ·
I am shingling the 10/12 gable roof of my shed and have shingled both sides of the roof to the point where the ends of the dimensional shingles are sticking up above the ridge by about three inches, yet I think I am slightly short on either side to be able to install the ridge shingles. Two questions:
1 - Do the three inches currently sticking up above the ridge need to be cut off or can I wrap them over the ridge and nail the ridge shingles on top?
2- What is the best way to close the small distance on either plane of the roof so the shingle nails will sit under the ridge shingles, when there only seems to be space for about a 1/4 shingle?

Thanks a lot. I hope that is clear - I can attach a picture if necessary.

#3 ·
Adding a ridge vent and or real hip and ridge shingles is the right way.
If your talking about arcutectual shingles there not what's used for the cap.

#4 ·
Let me try to explain the problem a little better... I have shingled the roof up to just below the ridge line. The last course I installed is not quite high enough on the roof deck to allow me to fasten the ridge shingles. I will have to install one more course, but I only have about 4 or 5 inches of space before i am at the ridge. What is the best way to cut and nail the final course of shingles? Thanks.

#5 ·
It sounds like you didn't adjust courses so the last one before the ridge landed 2" below it.
So, just cut the top 1/2 off a lot of shingles and nail them down about 2" below the ridge. Yes, it's gonna look funny, but too late to 'turn the rule on two' now, unless you feel like tearing off about 10 courses on both sides and redoing htem.

#6 ·
Doesn't sound like you are using a ridge vent to me.

Yes you can wrap the shingles over and nail the ridge shingle over top, or you can cut the field shingles down.

I would nail the shingle as high as possible and still hit the wood deck. Place the nail at each place where there are 2 pieces of shingles stuck together. That way the top piece won't come apart and fall out later.

#7 ·
We typically nail the tops of each rows onto the other side. Make sure there's no bubbles in the shingles if you do this though.

You shouldn't have to put a final row on that's less than 6 inches as your ridge cap should be 12 inches wide and wrap on each side about 6 inches. Always make sure to nail your final row a tad high if your close to the 6 inch mark so you don't have exposed nails when you ridge. Of course you don't want to see the nail lines in the shingle either after you put the ridge on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.