Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos shingle question

I have been told that I have asbestos shingles. The house was built in the 1930s. The shingles look ok, but how would I know if they are no longer functional? I did not see any leaking in the attic. If I need to replace is it cheaper to have them removed and place asphalt or just have metal roofing placed over all of it? I have been told that metal roofing can be placed over asbestos. I assume that is true.

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #2

I think it would be better to removed the old asbestos shingles before replacing it with metal roofing. And don't forget to call a professional to remove the old asbestos shingles.

roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofingquotes For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-03-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

They are non-friable. You just need to find a roofing contractor who knows what is required for removal. It's not as bad as it sounds. It does take more care in removing and transporting them to a certified landfill but it's not devastating.

The main problem with covering them is they will shatter during the install and after. This can lead to a greater possibility of airborne dust and possible unseen health problems for the structure down the road. It's best to get rid of them and breath a little easier (literally)
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-03-2013), Windows on Wash (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1 to O&B.

Strip the roof.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

But how do I know when it is time for a new roof? There are no leakage issues, and the shingles look ok as far as I know. What do "bad" asbestos shingles look like?

How much more percentage wise does it cost for removal? I could just go up there and knock them off with a hammer. I think this is just like the mold scare where lawyers capitalize on an issue, and then companies charge exorbitant rates to send people up wearing space suits to do a job.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

No leaks, leave them.
Got some pictures?
No way to know how much or what's involved in removing them without making some local calls.
In my area anyone can remove them and just take them to any landfill.
Any modern landfill is capped every day and is built like a giant lined swimming pool.
All my mothers side of the family lived within site of an asbestos mine and most of them spend there whole life working in them.
Not one died of lung cancer and all lived until at least there 80's.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

If they are in good shape and not leaking then the only reason for a new roof is that you want one. It's too bad asbestos ends up killing people in thirty years because almost the only thing that ruins them is damage from impact or other outside sources. They are durable as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In my area anyone can remove them and just take them to any landfill.
Here they do not dictate personal protection on removal. I always have my guys wear respirators but that is it. They must be transported in sealed double layer of 6 mil. We just line the truck, throw them in, wrap it over and tape it closed with duct tape. Once at the landfill we need a receipt showing they are certified to receive it. The only official concern is the dust blowing around while driving down the road.

The last one we did we actually stacked them on pallets and sold them to a local used bldg supply house. They even came and picked them up.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

Is there a reason many of you think a metal roof should not just go over it so I can avoid the expense of asbestos removal?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
Is there a reason many of you think a metal roof should not just go over it so I can avoid the expense of asbestos removal?
Yeah, because it is freakin insane! What are you going to do drill through the asbestos to attach the clips?

Architectural metal requires a smooth flat plane on which to be installed.

REMOVE THE ASBESTOS SHINGES, INSPECT AND REPAIR OR RE-COVER THE DECK, AND PUT ON LANDMARKS......... COPY?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-06-2013)