Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Asbestos Roof

I found a home I like and its a 193 year old Victorian mansion. Ofcourse there are a few concerns hehe. The thing that concerns me the most is that it has an asbestos roof. I know, I know if it doesn't leak don't mess with it. Right now, there are no apparent leaks but there is all kinds of moss and algae growing on it. Is that ok?

Even though I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon, I think I need to consider how much it would cost to fix if it started to leak the day after I buy it. The footprint is about 1052 square feet. Ofcourse, you have never seen this place so nobody can give an estimate. but maybe you can guess within 5 k or so? This is a big project and I'll set lots of room for misc overrun. I just don't want to be over more than 5 k though.

So:

1) To rip off and replace the roof, any ideas what that would be about? Is $10-15 k enough to budget for? Or would it be less than that for sure? (This would be if a 100 year old oak tree fell on it. I would do all possible to keep the tiles on there since its the cheapest.)

2) Could shingles be layed over the top of the roof? Someone told me this could be done as long as the edges were sealed so the fibers couldn't get out.

3) I've also heard of sealant products that could be applied over the existing tiles in place. Would this be a viable option if there were a small leak?

I am buying this home for me to live in, but at the same time its very much an investment. I want to fix it right, but at the same time I don't want to over-do it and waste my money for when I go to sell it.

Any ideas before I go further? Ofcourse there will be an inspection, but that doesn't mean something won't happen right after I buy it.

(Just thought of this after I wrote all this. Would a home insurance policy protect me from asbestos removal? That would greatly reduce my risk if this roof could cost 20 k to fix when it finally does go. I'll have to call my buddy who is an insurance agent tomorrow.)

Thanks for any tips.

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

Asbestos Roof

From the bottom.

#4. No clue about the insurance.
#3. Never heard of a sealant that can work like that.
#2. NO. Don't even attempt it.
#1. Depending on the area and local laws, asbestos removal could add fro $5K to $10K to the cost. The cost of a normal replacement could well be $15K.

Odds are, if you set aside $25K, after you do the roof, you'll probably have enough left for a vacation.
As you noted, I haven't seen the roof, so it's kind-of a wild-axxed guess. Bet it isn't far off though, unless I'm really high.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Asbestos Roof

Tinner is probably right on, except the asbestos abatement will probably cost more

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Asbestos Roof

As unreasonable as this will sound, their are no "Required" provisions when doing an asbestos removal on a"Residence". The regulations are all for public and commercial properties.

The proper methods of removal and disposal should still be followed.

The one requirement that Does Apply, is the method of disposal and the bagging and double lining of the debris in the dumpster container, which makes absolutely no sense.

Once the load is dumped at the landfill, it gets bulldozed into position several times, compromising any liner that would have been the protective cover and the material still winds up being mixed in with the rest of the rubbish. ???

The dangers occur when the fibers that are friable become airborne. A "Mist" spraying of the exterior should be done continuously, as well as all workers working the Tyvek suits and masks and Hepa Filters.

The square footage and access to your Victorian will have the greatest bearing on the replacement cost, plus the quality and detail of the company and crew who do the work.

At 193 years old, you should expect significant decking or rafter decay, which will add to the cost and can not be calculated beforehand, but an attic inspection will at least provide a good "Guesstimate of the percentage of damage of what portions are visible.

What is the square footage and how many layers of roofing are on it?

Is there still the skip sheathing, which is the spaced plank board decking, with =~ 2" gaps between each of the 1" x ? plank boards, which may presumable also have a bottom layer of cedar shingles installed on top of the decking?

What type of siding does the structure have, where it abuts the roofing materials?

If you have a photo that you can upload to the forum, that would help significantly.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 AM   #5

Asbestos Roof

Here in NY,That info is very wrong,and can cost you ,and any contractor heavy fines starting at around $25,000.00 each for improper handling of asbestos--It is ILLEGAL to handle it without a proper Asbestos Abatement license,and training---wetting it down while working with it is the proper technique to keep down the friable fibers though
See how important it is ,to say where you`re from

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #6

Asbestos Roof

what Ed said is correct here in n.j. theres probably no reason why those tiles wouldn't last a very long time i wouldn't try to clean them tho just leave them be imo
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Asbestos Roof

The USEPA states that asbestos is not a regulated material unless it is ground, sanded, abraided, saw cut, or other means by which it will produce significant friable fibers.

Asbestos is all around us in nature, so we are exposed to it everyday and most of us didnt even know this.

Polyurea is an approved sealnt for both waterproofing and asbestos encapsulation. In fact, the EPA recommends encapsation as the preferred abatement procedure over removal.

Hope this helps.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #8

Asbestos Roof

I got my information directly from the EPA and any other entity that I could think of contacting.

The handling and disposal is regulated, but it is minor, but the removal on a "Residential" property did not come under the regulated powers and laws.

Different towns may have different separate higher requirements though.

Check with all officials who could clarify your local situation and methods of handling the materials.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

Asbestos Roof

YOU CAN`T EVEN DUMP IT IN North Jersey,so you must be just getting away with it struble---

Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Commercial Roofing

Asbestos Roof

Most concrete asbestos products are not regulated unless you create significant friable fibers. Most can be disposed of in regular landfills according to USEPA.

Local jurisdictions may have more stringent requirements. Check with your local municipalities for the intricacies of the subject.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #11

Asbestos Roof

This gives an idea of NY requirements
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...IFICATION.shtm

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Asbestos Roof

i got the stink eye but they took it.It was siding which from what i understand contained very little
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #13

Asbestos Roof

exactly,be very careful where you go to dump,because other Jersey dumps will hang you by the _____ !

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #14

Asbestos Roof

that would smart
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #15

Asbestos Roof

Your nutz if you touch anything asbestos. In Massachusetts they will string you up by the balls if you get caught and your not a licenced abatement company. It has nothing to do with wether its transite with only a little in it or is or isnt friable,it is a matter of liabillity and putting your ass on the line. I sub out the tearoff and disposal to an asbestos abatement guy when i run into it. They dont take it lightly if your caught and the neighbors always tend to call the authorities with great concern.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

Last edited by RooferJim; 01-11-2009 at 05:37 PM.
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote