Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Share |

Architectural shingles to buy vs. regular

I'm replacing my roof due to hail damage. I want to put on architectural shingles. My insurance guy told me that with architectural shingles, you have to use more than regular asphalt shingles. Basically, for every 3 bundles of asphalt shingles that you use, it takes 4 bundles of the architectural shingles. Is this a fact? I'm trying to calculate for my 1,900 square foot roof. Thank you.

vkerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #2

Some of the 40 or 50 year architectural shingles require 4-5 bundles per square, but that is because there are less shingles in each bundle.

It still takes the same amount of squares, (100 square feet), or actual shingles to roof over the same area.

Sounds like someone is trying to jack you around or doesn't know what he is talking about.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #3

It was my insurance guy that told me that. While I'm waiting on insurance to work things out, one of our local big chain hardware places is running a special on the Owens-Corning 30-year architectural shingles at $11.83/bundle or $35.49 a square. Their asphalt shingles are currently $11.99/bundle or $35.97 a square, which I think is a great deal. The sale runs through today. Thanks for your help. You wouldn't be close to Van Buren, AR, would you?
vkerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

No, I am in the NW suburbs of Chicago, where it is snowing today????? WTF

Add on the cost of delivery and roof top loading and the deal may not be as good as it sounds, plus it is probably for in stock colors only.

Try a roofing supply house and get some quotes from professional contractors to order the materials and do the installation correctly. I would help review the specifications presented if desired.

Ed
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

He was correct about the number of bundles, but only due to thickness of the product the big difference will be labor, arch. is way easier and quicker, just a better designed product than 3 tab in any installation scenario I can think of. 3 tab is dead, I'm done with it, will turn down most jobs if it is the spec.
gusthehonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #6

There can be more bundles for some Architectural shingles but you paid by the square for shingles when you do a whole roof. The insurance man seems to be talking you into the cheaper roof. The Architectural shingles are 90 dollars of more a square where the three tab are 80. You get the same amount of shingles in a square of each shingle, but the Architectural shingle is better. If you have 1900 square feet you will need at least 19 square, but I would get 20 to account for cuts. Don't let the insurance man talk you down to a cheaper shingle.

http://fiveashrenovations.com
Fiveash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveash View Post
There can be more bundles for some Architectural shingles but you paid by the square for shingles when you do a whole roof. The insurance man seems to be talking you into the cheaper roof. The Architectural shingles are 90 dollars of more a square where the three tab are 80. You get the same amount of shingles in a square of each shingle, but the Architectural shingle is better. If you have 1900 square feet you will need at least 19 square, but I would get 20 to account for cuts. Don't let the insurance man talk you down to a cheaper shingle.

http://fiveashrenovations.com

My roofer had me order 21 square of Architectural for my 1400 sq. ft. roof. So am I buying way too much?
MotoXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXXX View Post
My roofer had me order 21 square of Architectural for my 1400 sq. ft. roof. So am I buying way too much?
Your roof is 1400sq ft, and your roofer had you buy 2100 sq ft worth of material, that's a lot of waste. Don't let him take the extras when he leaves, that's theft.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post
Your roof is 1400sq ft, and your roofer had you buy 2100 sq ft worth of material, that's a lot of waste. Don't let him take the extras when he leaves, that's theft.
I will be helping with the install so I will know how much we use. He did say it may be too much and we can take the unused bundles back. I talked to the materials supplier myself, and he said that was about right for figuring waste when weaving in your valleys but it may be a little much and said he would take back undamaged bundles. At today's prices I hope to bring some back!
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #10

Depending on the house style, waste is usually around 10% and up. All depends on the roofer.

Personally I would take back 3 square right now and buy valley metal instead of weaving a valley. Just me though.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post
Depending on the house style, waste is usually around 10% and up. All depends on the roofer.

Personally I would take back 3 square right now and buy valley metal instead of weaving a valley. Just me though.
I am going over my exsisting three tab roof with felt and architectural. He is putting in valley metal but still weaving the valleys. He says that is the way he prefers to do it, looks better also. My old roof was 18 yrs. old and the galvanized valley metal is rusty where it was exposed. looks brand new on the underside.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXXX

I am going over my exsisting three tab roof with felt and architectural. He is putting in valley metal but still weaving the valleys. He says that is the way he prefers to do it, looks better also. My old roof was 18 yrs. old and the galvanized valley metal is rusty where it was exposed. looks brand new on the underside.
Doesn't sound like you have a roofer helping you but rather a guy who sorta knows how to shingle.

#1 - Always best to tear off
#2 - if you don't tear off DON'T put on another layer of felt
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Most of the Lifetimes are 4 bundles due to the thickness of the material.

Like it was said a square is a square.,well I am not real sure of that I think it was lower to around 98??,,,I might be wrong.But nonetheless.

If anyone is getting Arch's for under $40 per square.,I would empty out your savings and buy everyone you could.

If you are wanting Arch's maybe the confusion with the numbers is the need of the Arch's,starters and ridge.But percentage factors are used or simply using a tape for footage of ridge would clear some of the fog so to speak.

Moto.,I hate to say it but someone is pulling on your checkbook.A 14sq roof deck and ordering 21sq. is nuts.

You would have to be a very wasteful roofer or your trying to trump the cost a bit.And unless your house is a 14 sq. valley that is entirely too much material.

You could probably lace cut,weave and maybe install a Cali cut all at once.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Doesn't sound like you have a roofer helping you but rather a guy who sorta knows how to shingle.

#1 - Always best to tear off
#2 - if you don't tear off DON'T put on another layer of felt
We are doing this by the roofing manufacturers specs (Malarkey). It clearly states that when going over an exsisting roof they require you to lay down felt first. As for #1 always best to tear off, that is a matter of choice, I am selling this house in the near future.
Please explain why you don't put down felt when roofing over an exsisting roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Most of the Lifetimes are 4 bundles due to the thickness of the material.

Like it was said a square is a square.,well I am not real sure of that I think it was lower to around 98??,,,I might be wrong.But nonetheless.

If anyone is getting Arch's for under $40 per square.,I would empty out your savings and buy everyone you could.

If you are wanting Arch's maybe the confusion with the numbers is the need of the Arch's,starters and ridge.But percentage factors are used or simply using a tape for footage of ridge would clear some of the fog so to speak.

Moto.,I hate to say it but someone is pulling on your checkbook.A 14sq roof deck and ordering 21sq. is nuts.

You would have to be a very wasteful roofer or your trying to trump the cost a bit.And unless your house is a 14 sq. valley that is entirely too much material.

You could probably lace cut,weave and maybe install a Cali cut all at once.
The waste part really doesn't matter as I bought the materials myself, and the supplier already told me they will take back any unused materials as long as they are not damaged. In fact they delivered the roofing and ridge vent today, and already took back one bundle of starter course and one roll of felt. We had all the repairs done, felt and starter course down already when the delivery truck came with the shingles. They showed up about 5:30 this evening and by 8:00 we had almost one third of the roof done. Lookin good so far.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #15

Felt paper over an existing old roof "May" trap in moisture and condensation and hasten the decay of the new shingles laid over the top.

But, since you are selling, it should be fine for the foreseeable near future.

Plus, as you indicated, it is THAT MANUFACTURERS written specifications.

Ed