Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

architectural roof shingles

Hi,

today, while I was at a wedding with my family, my roofer guy came over and laid architectural roof shingles over my existing roof tiles. We had agreed on this a week ago.

When we came home, the first thing my wife said as we pulled up to the house was, "it doesn't look like he did a good job." I had to agree. As I looked it over I could see many spots where the rectangular tiles are not pressed flat and you can see space beneath them. On one tile along the sloping edge, a corner is turned upward for no apparent reason. Two other tiles appear to have holes in them.

I called the roofer guy and told him I was disappointed with the job. He came over and I pointed out the many tiles which are not pressed flat. He said it just needs a day of strong hot sun and the tiles will flatten out. he also said I was being too picky about the tile with the upturned corner.

I told him I will give it a week to flatten out. He became very angry saying he needs to get paid now for his work. I told him first I need to see if the tiles flatten out. He threatened to come back tomorrow morning and rip all the tiles off.

What should I do? Will these tiles flattten out on their own with some strong sun or is he just pulling my leg? I will not be using him again but I need to settle this situation first.

Please advise me. Thanks

nydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Next time call a professional roofer to get professional results. Usually when you hire a "roofer guy", weird things happen. Putting these shingles over an existing shingle is a big no no.

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
nydeco (09-11-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Wink

You should always get references for roofing agents, and all shingles need a day or two in hot sun to fall into place correctly and lay perfect. But you should not lay shingle over an existing roof if you don't have to, dimensional shingle or not. It should have been torn off and re-shingled to lay and protect properly. And i would be just as picky as you, your the customer.
jerandsimone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerandsimone For This Useful Post:
nydeco (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

The roofer guy called and said he's sending his partner in the morning to discuss the situation. I don't imagine he'll offer to rip all the new tiles off and do it again so the question is, what should I ask him to do to make my roof look well done and professional? Should I ask him to get up there and replace the tiles that seem to be lifting up from the bottom? Should I hold off on paying him until he makes my roof look like it was done right?
If he continues saying it just needs some sun to flatten the tiles, should I tell him I'll wait a week until the sun has had a chance to flatten the tiles into place and then pay him?
nydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

I don't do many lay-overs, but the ones I have done look "lay smooth" as if it were a tear off or new construction, last just as long also.

Lifting in the center of the shingles 'tiles' can be explained away with simply needing a day or two of sun to lay flat.
Lifting or curling of the ends of the shingles often means too tight of a butting or too loose, so for sure have the partner take a closer look at those.

I'm not a lawyer and I have not seen pictures of your roof so I can't be an inspector here either, but my gut feeling is if the partner shows him/her self to be more professional then the other partner then pay a % of the total today and the remainder in a week.

Good Luck.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote