Any Suggestions On How To Flash This Window? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 322

Any suggestions on how to flash this window?

Professionally put in replacement windows, there is no flashing of the sill or sides. I'm residing from old wood to sheathing and vinyl siding. It may not be visible on the picture, but the window is wrapped in aluminum and was caulked all around the old siding. There is roughly 1/8 in gap between the aluminum wrap and the OSB sheathing that I'd like to flash appropriately.

I was thinking of stick on flashing over sheathing/WRB as if it were a flanged window, then to bend aluminum coil to right angle and flash over that so that it goes about 1" into the gap between sheathing and the window and 2-3" out and around. Fill the gap with polymer caulk (I like Geocel and it's cheaper than Quad), put in the aluminum flashing as mentioned above, and then caulk all around.

Good or bad idea, or is there a better way?
Attached Thumbnails
Any suggestions on how to flash this window?-photo-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

Dixon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,306

Re: Any suggestions on how to flash this window?

Sorry but that just looks like a complete mess to me that's going to be 100% sure to leak.
Where's the nailing fins?
Where's the house wrap before the window went in?
They should have been new constrution, not replacement windows.

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sorry but that just looks like a complete mess to me that's going to be 100% sure to leak.
Where's the nailing fins?
Where's the house wrap before the window went in?
They should have been new constrution, not replacement windows.
There are no nailing fins. These are replacements that went into the old window frame when the old wood siding (no sheathing/wrap) was on the house. I'm just working around what was there. There were trim boards all around the window, but they were rotten, as was the sill, so they had to come out.

Last edited by Dixon12; 03-22-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
RRH

Rewards Points: 350

I am not sure what you have. First I thought a replacement window in a wrapped aluminum frame.
Then you said you had to actually remove the trim and sill. So I would have needed better pics myself to have recommended anything.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
I am not sure what you have. First I thought a replacement window in a wrapped aluminum frame.
Then you said you had to actually remove the trim and sill. So I would have needed better pics myself to have recommended anything.
Here's a detailed pic, hope it explains the situation better. The replacements did not have a nail fin or built in aluminum edges. Installer just wrapped around them with aluminum and caulked all around--to the sill, trim boards, etc. The second picture is of a window that I haven't done yet so this is what these were like before all the trim and old siding came out.
Attached Thumbnails
Any suggestions on how to flash this window?-window-detail.jpg   Any suggestions on how to flash this window?-photo-1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

The flashing should have been integrated into the aluminum wrap to create a flange that would have come out over the sheathing. Without that all you can do is rely on caulk.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Dixon12 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
RRH

Rewards Points: 350

When you get to the siding read this, part on counter flashing below the window. I just use the self stick flashing here on the siding nailing flange below the window and notch the siding.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Window%20Flashing.htm

Back to your window.
Bottom line is don't use caulk for morethan a secondary seal.
And a table saw would help.
First remove the metal wrap. Next extend the sill Then figure out what trim boards and wood you will use. I would use PVC or Miratec trim boards ( home depot has both). Second choice is wood if you prime all sides.

Still can't see exactly what you will have with the metal trim off. But you want it to end up like how a normal wood window is built. Which has everything overlapping. From the outside. The trim molding overlaps the outside window stop and the stop molding overlaps the replacement window. Use caulk as glue and nail together.

So you may end up with a 1 x 4 as the trim or brick molding. And overlap this on the window. But you will need to modify this trim molding depending on if your window sticks out past the osb or if it is recessed.
May even have to rip some wood and extend the frames out, but don't think so in your case.

If you do a neat job you can paint it all. If not then get a good trim guy to wrap all this before you put on siding.
Don't forget the top drip cap whatever you do. And before it gets wrapped look at the link above. Or use the self stick flashing tape in an L shape. About 3/4" on the edge of your trim board and have about 3" stick to the OSB. Then have the window wrapped.

One of those jobs easier to see the job and show how than typing it out.
Hopes this all makes sense

Advertisement

RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRH For This Useful Post:
Dixon12 (03-24-2017)