Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #1

Share |

Any experience with Malarkey shingles?

I am getting bids for a re-roof in the Portland, OR area, (replacing cedar shakes with composition shingles, probably laminated)and I find that many roofing contractors are far more interested in marketing than in providing useful information in their quotes. It's kind of like the car salesman who always starts the dialog with "What is your favorite color?"

OK, so I still haven't found a roofing company that I feel comfortable sharing my bank account number with. Let's get back to shingle quality. One of the recommendations was for Malarkey, a local shingle manufacturer. Anyone had any experience or heard any tales about Malarkey and their products vs. GAF or Certainteed? I'm looking at their 40-year laminated product, Northwest XL. Also, does the addition of algae-resistance coating make any difference for the extra cost?

Thanks for listening,
Bob D.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #2

I don't know Malarkeys full line of products, but eveything I read about them is that it is a quality shingle.

They have an impact resistant version composed of modified bitumen which seems to be far superior that a standard asphalt shingle.

If there is an upcharge for the algae resistant granules, it should only be about $ 1.00 to $ 1.50 per square and is definitely worth it if your home is in a moist and shadowed environment prone to algae discolorization.

If it is the 3M product, the algfae resistant warranty is for the first ten years.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 AM   #3

Hello,

I have been in Alaska for 9 years and approximately 85% of the roofs we install are Malarkey Legacys or Alaskans. They are modified and are able to withstand 100+mph winds. IMO I would use Malarkey because I feel that they are a high quality shingle.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote