Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

any difference between OC, GAF, Tamko 30yr shingles?

around my area all 3 sell within $1 per bundle of each other in a 30yr architectural. tamko lists an "algae relief" which could be a benefit since i have a few fir trees and a couple evergreens near the house. i also live in oregon if it's any help. from what i can tell all 3 are extremely similar. i just thought i'd ask before i buy them all.

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

I'd go with the Tanko if they have the algae resistance for the same price.

I like them all equally. (The brands)

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #3

looked at all 3. corning oakridge is the prettiest of all 3. it also had the cleanest "looking" construction for what its worth. more or less looking to go this way unless there is a reason to reconsider that someone posts in the next couple days.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

I agree with ArronB,
I have installed all three brands as well as Certainteed's 30 year also and there all a good choice.
Not sure if it's just a local thing for my area or national, but, here all manufacturers have included the (AR) in their shingles since 2000/01.

Choose the shingle that best fits the look your going for,
choose the roofer that you feel most confident in, quality wise, price second.

If your installing them yourself, read the wrappers, look at the manufacturers website for spec's, warnings, etc.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #5

thanks guys, i also completely agree on choosing someone i'm confident in. my brother in law is out of work at the moment and just happens to be a journeyman union carpenter. from what i gather the majority of early roofing failures aren't necessarily the shingle, it's often install error. that being the case i don't want to make a mistake doing it all on my own. a trained hand helping me is beyond worth the $1000 or so i plan on giving him

by the way, he also agreed with everything you both typed as far as all 3 shingles being good choices and the install being what was so important.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

What do trained union carpenters have to do with knowing how to roof?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

they have to go through 4yrs of school out here. i don't know all the details but it's split up into sections. by the time one is done you can do anything needed on a home short of licensed plumbing or electrical.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing

They are qualified to build a house in four years??? LOL OK./....
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #9

that's the idea anyway. i'm starting to love this forum though. lot of good advice here. i figure if i can learn a few things along the way, all the better my projects will turn out. this fourm already helped me uncover one mistake. the guy i hired to do marble in one of my bathrooms never used thinset under the hardibacker even though everyone on the forum and hardi themselves say to do so for a couple of good reasons. needless to say i did my other bathroom floor myself and actually had it turn out better than the one i hired out. all i did is follow the instructions. i have the oddest feeling roofing is the same way. there is a set process that should be done with the install.