Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Any clever ways to clean high gutters?

One thread leads to another...it seems that because our high gutters are growing what looks like an Amazon rain forest, that might have led to water in our basement (earlier post under 'general discussions').
I don't have a ladder high enough, and I'm not so sure I want to borrow one, especially since I don't have much inheritance money to pass down to my kids .
I took a large, fallen tree branch and taped a snow shovel to it, and it reaches, but the angle of the shovel doesn't go 'in' enough to clear anything out. No high windows face this gutter.
Anyone have any interesting ways that might help? I see those 'gutter tong cleaners' for sale, but if I can DIM with something else, I'd like to try.

rlk67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

Hire someone every year to clean them out every year or better yet install gutter guards and never have to clean them out again.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

There are contraptions for this involving extension rods and such, but the problem is you can't see what it's doing so you don't know whether you're getting all the dirt out. I think 150-200 dollars in early Spring and again in late fall would be money well spent. Alot of companies will wrap it up into a 'tune-up' package where they will check all fasteners and re-seal all seams along with the cleaning.

I have some cheap mesh gutter guards that seem to do the job on one side of my house but I don't have any tall trees immediately near me so not much gets up there anyway. If there are really tall trees close to the house cutting them down or trimming them way back are also options worth considering.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-04-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we have tall trees over those gutters, but way too tall to trim.

I found a $40 coupon for cleaning, and I'm sure they'll try to up it a bit, but it's a start. You're right though...If I try it myself, I can't really see what's inside anyway.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 530

Since this is a DIY site, I'd probably suggest purchasing an aluminum extension ladder that will reach high enough. If you're afraid of heights, then your option is to hire it done. If not, spending $150-200 on a ladder that has multiple uses through it's lifetime might be the best bet. There are attachments you can use on your hose too that extends higher into the gutter, flushing out debris. Unfortunately if they are already full, you're not doing much by using them.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,502

Seems like more trouble than it is worth but this is probably the most fun way...

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

I hired someone to clean it all out. You should've seen his face when he saw what was in those gutters ! It cost 50 bucks with a coupon.

I did this, believe or not, because my EARS were also clogged for many weeks, and the doctor had a crazy time getting them unclogged, and said I should really do this once a year. So I thought that I should do this with my house too (my mind was in the gutters ).
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Seems like more trouble than it is worth but this is probably the most fun way...

Add in a couple cases of beer and you have one good friday night, saturday, and saturday night. Crap that thing was slow. Entertaining to say the least. I'll wait till I can find one at a garage sale. $300 is a lot for a toy that you have to follow to clean up what it missed. Too funny though.

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (04-06-2014)