Another Ridge Vent, Gable Vent And Soffit Question (??) - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Another Ridge Vent, Gable vent and soffit question (??)

I am re-siding my house which already has a ridge vent, and aluminum(mixed solid and perforated) soffit with plywood soffit underneath. The plywood soffit underneath has some holes cut in it to breathe, but it is certainly not like the wood soffits are wide open behind the aluminum soffit. My guess is that there is a 2-3 inch hole every 16" inches in the plywood.

Also we added a 24 foot adddition (perpendicular) to the back of the house which eliminated 24 feet of 60 feet of soffit.

The original house also has a gable on the front which is perpendicular to the house, effectively eliminating 22 feet of 60 feet of soffit there too.

So taking that all into account, while re-siding, should I eliminate/cover over the gable end vents, which I have read in some postings are counter-productive to soffit to ridge air flow...or should I leave them in place because the soffit is not maximized?

Any professional, experienced recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

davco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

That is a valid question and concern about short-circuiting the ventilation system.

But, your larger problem remains.

You need to increase your intake ventilation.

Try looking up a fascia vent product. I don't have my literature available to me right now, but either others will know of brand names or you can Google for product results.

Then, when you have corrected the intake problem, you should close off the side wall gable vents.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here,

The 1st page of this search resulted in at least 3-4 different products which can achieve the intake solution I mentioned earlier.

Ed

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fascia+intake+vent
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote