Another Insulation/soffet Issue - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another insulation/soffet issue

I've perused a few other threads on this subject but none that match my situation enough for me to resolve it successfully as of yet. I'm open to recommendations!

When we bought our house 3 years ago, the inspector said, "There's insulation covering a lot if not all of the soffet vents around the perimeter of your house. I recommend pulling it back to clear the vents, maybe with a lightweight rake." I took his advice, climbed up with my yard rake, and quickly discovered that it wasn't blown in, but rather it's rolled insulation stapled down. The angle of the roof is too tight for me to get into it and cut it, not to mention the hazard of all those roofing nails.

A year or two ago, I had a professional look at it and he came out of the attic scratching his head. "I don't even think I could reach it (he's a very small guy)." He recommended installing an attic fan(s) to improve the ventilation.

I'd rather not make another penetration in my roof if I don't have to, so I'm wondering if removing the soffet (I believe it's aluminum but it could be vinyl...I'm honestly drawing a blank) and cutting back the insulation from the outside is a good solution or if there's something else I'm missing.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

ScottieBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

It's not uncommon to do it from the outside soffit end. Especially if the soffit material is easily removed. That way you can push back the insulation and possibly put some foam channels up there to prevent it from happening again. With luck those would be long enough to be able to use a slap stapler to attach the top side from back inside the attic.

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

The easiest way by far is to remove the soffit materiel and work from underneath. If you do not currently have a fully ventilated soffit, make it so. If you currently have fully vented soffit, fill up a kiddy pool with hot water, bleach and tsp and clean your soffit with a scrub brush, then rinse it thoroughly before re-installing it. Install your baffles from under the soffit. You need a standard stapler to do this. Make sure your stapes aren't too long, and check the other post where a supposed "Pro" installed the baffles upside down so you don't do that. A 1/4 inch pneumatic stapler works really well for re-installing soffit, as you can get in between the ribs.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Does the house have a ridge vent (a good one)?

If so, disregard the advice of the guy that said put on a fan.

+1 on getting at it from the soffits if you decide to do it. You can usually pull out one piece and a bunch of times they are not all tacked in and you can slide them like an accordion.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Does the house have a ridge vent (a good one)?

If so, disregard the advice of the guy that said put on a fan.

+1 on getting at it from the soffits if you decide to do it. You can usually pull out one piece and a bunch of times they are not all tacked in and you can slide them like an accordion.
I have a ridge vent, but can you shed some light on what makes it good (or bad)?

I'm trying to track down a straight hand seamer to help me bend back the fascia holding in the soffit without twisting/kinking/crimping it. Once I get that, I'm curious as to what I'll find behind the soffit...I've been poking around on Youtube and have seen some crazy stuff...no actual vents, crude holes drilled through the board, etc.
ScottieBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

The idea is having a ridge vent at the top and openings down along under the eaves (in the soffit) helps allow natural convection to circulate air under the roof. This helps keep it cooler and avoid allowing stagnant air (and moisture) to accumulate on the underside. Which would lead to mold, rot and premature failure of the materials.

It comes as a surprise to most people that their roof needs to 'breathe' in this manner. They assume insulation is supposed to block up everything tight. Which, done right, is appropriate for the interior walls (assuming proper vapor barrier setups) but is not good for the roof in most situations.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBaseball View Post
I have a ridge vent, but can you shed some light on what makes it good (or bad)?

I'm trying to track down a straight hand seamer to help me bend back the fascia holding in the soffit without twisting/kinking/crimping it. Once I get that, I'm curious as to what I'll find behind the soffit...I've been poking around on Youtube and have seen some crazy stuff...no actual vents, crude holes drilled through the board, etc.

Full width and usually more balanced flow as well as the natural convection that wkearney mentioned.

Good ones are baffled as well.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote